College

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie_2013

I am about to be a high school senior. I have a while before having to think about this, but I am. If I can't find a college that would allow me to bring Eleanor with me, is there someone who could potentially board her until I could get her back, I could pay you, or just pay for her costs.

You can't leave her with your parents? Mine take care of my chins when I go places I can't take them, like when I lived overseas. Everyone else I know who lived in the dorms left their pets with their parents until they either graduated or moved off campus.

The vast majority of colleges will not let you have a pet in the dorms besides fish, so unless you live off campus in your own apartment you won't be able to take her with you. And as much as you love your chinchilla, you shouldn't let her dictate where you get an education. I got Dexter and Smokey while in college, but I lived off campus in my own apartment that allowed pets.

I was looking into living off campus anyway, my mom doesn't care too much for her, so I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her here. But don't I have to live on campus for a certain amount of time?

If you are a commuter from the get-go (living off campus even close by you would be a commuter) then you don't have to, no. I graduated in May of last year and when I was looking around at schools my senior year of college none of the colleges I looked at required you to dorm for a year

I would definitely narrow down your schools that you are interested in and then go from there. It was mandatory that freshman live on campus their first year unles you live within like 30 miles of the school, at least at my school it was like that. But I got my babies after my first year and I lived on campus as a freshman . I would highly recommend if you are thinking about going to one of the major universities that you do live on campus at least for a semester. Luckily one of the universities here allows many small critters and a chin just happens to be one of them. So I would definitely check around first, that way you wouldn't feel uncomfortable leaving them with a stranger and hopefully it saves you money :)

you could try a community college for the first couple years. it saves money and you can live at home most likely.
there are also from my experience a lot of apartments near campuses with people wanting roommates to split the costs.

Many four year universities require their freshmen to live on campus, which you can get around many ways such as going to a community college first. However, if you're able to go to a four year right away, then don't let Eleanor limit your abilities. If the time comes where you need to part with her, I'm sure you'll be able to make arrangements with your parents or a friend or maybe someone on these forums. I, unfortunately, do not live near Texas, or I would consider helping you out.

I would look for off campus housing that will allow pets. I know some places charges a little bit more for pets living there. When my son went to UC Riverside we got him an apartment for the 4 years. He is now attending George Washington Law School and is living in an apartment.

The college I go to didn't require me to live on campus at all. Also, most apartments around here "didn't allow pets" but once I asked they said small ones were fine as long as they stayed in cages

I have already planned on going to my local community college for two years then moving on to a University, graduate. Work as a Vet Tech. Get into Veterinary Medicine school, graduate, maybe work in a zoo? Eventually start my own practice for large animals. And try to get some chinchilla experience and eventually specialize in them:) hopefully I can keep her with me through it all!

When i looked for colleges only some schools made it minatory for freshman to live on campus.
As someone said before look at the colleges that you want first and narrow the search down. look on their living arrangements. Little help on your search for schools. If you are not sure on what you want to major in, go to community college they are really helpful with trying to figure it out and it's a lot cheaper. four year colleges are nice if you know somewhat what you wanna do.

and another little tip. think now about which is the main school you want to go before school starts so you can fill out applications early. every schools deadline is different and some schools fill up faster than others especially state schools.

Seems to me, some college's were beginning to loosen up their rules and allow some small caged pets in some of their living quarters. Hubby use to work for a university and it was a huge deal at the time. It was a few years ago though....But something you could look into. Where we were at they were really big in the vet school and ag. stuff....so maybe that was part of it.

You can't leave her with your parents? Mine take care of my chins when I go places I can't take them, like when I lived overseas. Everyone else I know who lived in the dorms left their pets with their parents until they either graduated or moved off campus.

The vast majority of colleges will not let you have a pet in the dorms besides fish, so unless you live off campus in your own apartment you won't be able to take her with you. And as much as you love your chinchilla, you shouldn't let her dictate where you get an education. I got Dexter and Smokey while in college, but I lived off campus in my own apartment that allowed pets.

Yeah, that's what most of us do. But as her mom is not willing to take care of her, she needs a different way. But that's a good answer. I appreciate.

Back