Collecting rosehips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kogia

Some people who collect their own rosehips for their tea, has anyone here tried collecting and drying them for their chins? If so, are there any suggestions to how to do this? (The rosehips here are almost ripe!!)

Thanks

Some people who collect their own rosehips for their tea, has anyone here tried collecting and drying them for their chins? If so, are there any suggestions to how to do this? (The rosehips here are almost ripe!!)

Thanks
I have some white climbing roses that I believe are "tea roses" on my property. When I got Six, I went out and clipped a few. Most seemed to have been eaten already, so I assumed they were safe. I gave him a small one, and he consumed it with relish. After suffering no side effects, several days later I gave him another. Finally he was getting 1-2 a day, and he would also eat the small stems they were on. These hips are small, about the size of a dried pea. When these ran out, I ordered some on line, but these are *huge* so I only give him about 1 a week.
I tried cutting some off when I had to trim back the bush last month, but they didn't dry-they got nasty. So I guess you have to wait until they ripen on the bush. Mine look OK now, but I thought I would wait until the first killing frost and then harvest them. I didn't do anything other than snip them off with garden shears and drop them in a ziplock baggie. Perhaps this year I will harvest them at sundown on October 31st<g>.

Latest posts

Back