collected grasses

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyBug

Sometimes I love too much
When we picked up Trousers, her former owner gave us a big bag that had "food and hay" in it. We looked at the food today, and it is very clearly some sort of mixed crap for rabbits or guinea pigs (I can't remember what it's called, but when I had gerbils as a kid I fed them the gerbil version of this). In addition to the crappy food, it looks as though she went out into some fields and picked her own "hay" to give them. From everything I've read, this is a BIG no-no. I just want to know if there is anything we should look for as far as poisonous plants or grasses. We are NOT feeding it to any of our chins, but we know that Trousers ate some at her old home and we don't want her to get sick. Anything we should watch for?

hmmm. personally i would ditch the stuff they gave you and get some quality hay and pellets. you may wanna do the slow transition.....if they got their chins to grow to where you got them, it cant be TOO bad, but I mean really, if you didnt know what something was, would YOU eat it?:sick:

When it doubt, throw it out. If the person you got it from wasn't feeding proper feed then I wouldn't think they were feeding proper hay. If your concerened maybe you can call and ask but personallly I would ditch it and get some timothy.

Keep an eye out for loose poos but if you just got them that often happens when they go to a new home just from the stress. I doubt she intentionally gave them bad hay or whatever (that would be bad for business right?) so I wouldn't worry but I certainly wouldn't feed it :).

The woman I got her (and Minnie) from wasn't a breeder. She had 14 chins at one time for pets, though I know she did get some kits (I have no idea if they lived or not). She was adopting her animals out on CL. Both girls are now on Oxbow pellets and Oxbow hay. I just worried about some different plants that might be in with the hay depending on when it was harvested, as well as how fresh it was (it looked kinda funky to me). Trousers is gobbling up good Timmy hay; she goes through a bowl a day all by herself!! She seems to like the new pellets, too.

Back