Clipping kits teeth??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point of the discussion is clipping teeth as opposed to trimming teeth with a high speed hand piece, clipping involves using a hand held tool such as wire cutters or finger nail clippers, these items can shatter the teeth or cause horizontal cracks. The other point is doing this to a kit that has other choices as how it needs to be handled that does not involve invasive techniques.

The last point is-heathy chins who have access to things to chew on do not need incisor trims, they take care of it themselves with chewing. Malo chins need trims and chins for whatever reason that need to be hand fed long term need trims. Those trims need to be done by a vet with a high speed handpiece, not by a wire cutter.

I guess I was thinking along the same lines as what Dawn just said. How do you know the teeth clipping made any difference if you started rotating at the same time.

I would also like to mention that this article is about 30 years old. 30 years ago chins were rarely pets, a top chin from 30 years ago would be laughed off the table now. 30 years ago their were a lot more big ranchers, a lot less small ranchers, and much fewer mutations.

I don't know about MCBA but anyone is allowed and encouraged to submit an article with ECBC, everyone should feel free to do so. You can write an article about why you don't think people should clip teeth. About how you got started, about a show you went to, about how people helped you get started, about how you think more or less regulations should be put into place... what ever. If they are reprinting articles it's due to one of two reasons, it's an awesome article, or they don't have any new articles to print...

I agree with this - it was from 1982 and was part of a larger article that did have some good points. I think however it may be a case in point that some editing may need to take place. I don't know that simply reproducing 30 or 50 year old articles is relevant to today's husbandry. If they wanted to reuse the article there (IMO) should have been a caveat that said some studies/other ranchers have found this to cause injury and opted for alternative methods such as xyz. Presenting something that may be "controversial" should explain both sides.

I would help by writing in but I don't think I have near enough experience to say I am able to write anything worth reading yet.

A quote from Dr. David Crossley-A well known expert on chinchilla teeth from the UK. This is current information, extensive research on teeth has been done by this vet.

Clipping of teeth
"This barbaric practice results in a great deal of pain and suffering. Not only are the teeth left with sharp fractured surfaces that irritate the oral soft tissues, longitudinal cracks are also common involving sensitive dentine and often allowing infection into the pulp even if there is no direct pulp exposure. The resultant pulpitis is lilely to be painful and pulp necrosis and apical abscessation are common. The forces applied to the teeth during clipping far exceed physiological limits and there is tearing of the periodontium and apical contusion resulting in ongoing pain and exascerbation of tooth growth abnormalities. The use of tooth rasps (coarse surfaced instruments as opposed to files) is just as bad as again the forces required exceed physiological limits and rock the teeth in their sockets causing further periodontal and apical damage. Even the use of fine diamond files can loosen teeth."

A quote from Dr. David Crossley-A well known expert on chinchilla teeth from the UK. This is current information, extensive research on teeth has been done by this vet.

Clipping of teeth
"This barbaric practice results in a great deal of pain and suffering. Not only are the teeth left with sharp fractured surfaces that irritate the oral soft tissues, longitudinal cracks are also common involving sensitive dentine and often allowing infection into the pulp even if there is no direct pulp exposure. The resultant pulpitis is lilely to be painful and pulp necrosis and apical abscessation are common. The forces applied to the teeth during clipping far exceed physiological limits and there is tearing of the periodontium and apical contusion resulting in ongoing pain and exascerbation of tooth growth abnormalities. The use of tooth rasps (coarse surfaced instruments as opposed to files) is just as bad as again the forces required exceed physiological limits and rock the teeth in their sockets causing further periodontal and apical damage. Even the use of fine diamond files can loosen teeth."

Is this referring to clipping of specifically kit teeth?

Latest posts

Back