Clingy Chinny

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle43

I adopted my Chin a week ago. He is so lovable and friendly. Every time I open the door to his cage to clean/remove/add anything he scrambles to climb out and up my arm.

His cage is large enough and he has a lot of toys/chews. I let him out every evening while I clean his cage. Then I play with him so it is about 45 mins. every day.

Is this normal? I love that he likes playtime with me but it hurts to see him want out so much. It seems like he isn't happy in his cage.

What size is your cage?
One of my two chins is always begging to get out. She's not as friendly about it as your chin, either. If I open her door for any reason, she is struggling to squeeze out before I can move my arm out of the way. She'll even chomp my hand if it's trying to stop her from escaping.
My other chin never tried to jump out, though. She'll just come see me when I open the door.

Our Annabelle loves to be out too. So much so that we can't even do the "dust bath transfer" trick for playtime. We have to move the entire cage into the bathroom before we open the cage door. Its only 3 steps to move it, thank goodness. We've only had her a few months so we're not completely comfortable handling her just yet, but I'm sure if she were to get loose in the house, it would take forever to catch her, so we're not taking any chances. She would play forever too, we have to put a stop to it when she starts acting like a over-tired toddler or she'd get overheated. She does have a wheel, tons of toys and a 2 level cage, but she is a nut for playtime. :pillowfight:

My cage is 30x18x28

Annabelle sounds a lot like Chinny. I couldn't sleep so I went to lay on the bed in Chinny's room and watch him. I have never done that yet. He sure was active, and I don't think he knew I was in there after a few minutes of laying still.

I even heard him vocalize too for the first time. His stereo is set on classical music and when it went to commercial I heard him, well ...squawk, a few times. lol

I have several that will jump out on me when I open their cages if I let them, but it's more to actually get out and play than to 'cuddle' with me or anything like that. I have one that will jump out and sit on my shoulder for awhile but he usually wants down after a couple minutes too. They don't really start trying to use me to get out unless I've been messing around in their cage for awhile. They usually just sleep.

A couple of mine beg to be let out all the time too. And Ziggy will jump into our arms, or on my chest, when we open the doors. He doesn't mind being held for a minute or two, but he really just wants playtime.

Do you have a running wheel or a saucer? Maybe he's just high energy and needs to let off steam?

I think he does just love being out and playing and he is using me. lol

I do not have a saucer or wheel yet. I have only had him for 9 days. He came with a ball. I won't ever use it.

I am going to order him a Chin Spin within the next few weeks.

He just seems so happy and has no fear, I love it! I thought it would take us weeks to bond.

I can't imagine cleaning the cage and Annabelle not waking up. The second I put my hand on the door, she is right THERE. I have tried being as quiet as I possibly can, not making a sound, she always hears. She's a spaz.

I have one girl who has her own cage with everything she could ask for...yet she wants out so bad! Every time I walk in the room she is standing at the front door sticking her head out...unfortunately I can't play every second of the day :( But she isn't mean about it when the door is opened, so hopefully she's not mad at me ;)

Back