Climbing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazel_sweet

I just got my chinchilla couple a day ago. Late at night my chinchilla climb up his cage and jump over his cage that was about 1m off the table and another 1m off the ground. I woke up and put him back into his cage but now he keeps on climbing up the cage and falling off it from quite a high distance and on his back. What should I do to stop him? He is making a sound, is he injured and crying in pain? How high can they jump without getting hurt?

What kind of cage do you have? Do you have a photo you can post? Put lots of ledges and hammock and other things in the cage that can break the chins fall so that he doesn't hurt him self.
As for the sound: Chinchillas make a lot of different sounds. Can you describe it? There are lots of chinchilla sound clips on the internet and this forum, can you find one that comes close to matching it?
Is your chinchilla moving ok? Walking? Jumping? Without a limp? Eating, drinking, pooping, etc. ok? A chinchilla can definitely hurt itself by falling one metre and they are also very good at masking their pain so keep a very very close eye on him.

You want to have a cage that your chinnie can't get out of. It needs to be enclosed, because once escaped, they can easily injure themselves or chew on something that could kill them. Chins are great jumpers and can jump several feet. You need to watch him for a few days. Make sure he is eating, drinking, and pooping regularly. If not, or if he seems lethargic, get him to an exotic vet that is knowledgable about chins.

Back