Cleaning the FN142, and getting a stubborn screw out

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahappycamper

I just joined the club! I've got a beautiful FN142 from Craigslist and I was just wondering how everyone has cleaned theirs up so far. The owner told me they cleaned it before selling it to me but I can still tell there is some grime and missed spots that I want to take care of. I just want to completely disinfect the whole thing to prepare for the worst so how else did everyone do that?

Also, there is a stubborn screw that I'm having trouble with. Any ideas for that?

I got mine from craigslist also and it had still reeked of ferret and I could also see grime left on it after she "cleaned it with bleach".

In order to get the ferret stink off, I cleaned mine down with vinegar and water.

Vinegar & Water is great - I recommend taking it outside, filling a spray bottle with vinegar, letting it sit, then you can use a scrub brush for the caked on guck, and rinse it with a hose.

As for stubborn screws (often rusted) - I've had success using WD40 and letting it sit, trying to turn it and then applying more WD40 a few times and re-trying. Afterwards - be sure to clean it off.

Good Luck & Welcome to the club.

I too use vinegar, it dries the heck out of your skin so wear gloves or just be prepared for the dry skin. Stubborn screws I've used a couple of ways to get them out. It depends where the screw is, if its where the "legs" are I've held the screw with pliers and turned the leg piece. Or I've completely stripped the screw and managed to get it out after a long fight!

Good luck!

Hey, congrats, Andrew! Nice score on the cage!! Everyone has given great advice, I just wanted to tell you how happy I am for you, in getting the FN.
:)

Thanks Kara, I am super excited but I'm a little bit irritated. No matter what I do it seems I can't get some of the "grime"urine out between some of the really stubborn corners. I know I'm probably just overreacting because of how much of a germophobe I am. I've tried everything from tooth picks to tooth brushes to get that stuff out. I guess I need to come to the realization that I bought a USED cage and that chins after all, do live on the ground...without shoes...so they should be fine in the cage. It's only the little corners and between the bars where I'm having trouble cleaning. It almost makes me feel inclined to buy a brand new cage for Gizmo when the time comes, so that I don't have to deal with whatever "waste" might be left behind from the prior owner.

If it's really urine, try spraying some hydrogen peroxide on it and letting it sit for a few minutes, then scrub with a wire brush.

You also have to realize that chins will make the most out of the hard to reach places by the bars too. Phoenix and Sedona like doing that to me and then watch me try to get it out.

When we move I'm going to take mine outside and really scrub it with a toothbrush and vinegar/water then hose it down so it's all nice and clean before I place the chins in our bedroom in the house. They won't mind them each having a whole room to themselves while I clean it. There won't be any furniture for them to chew but I am giving them some fresh wood sticks to chew on.

If it's really urine, try spraying some hydrogen peroxide on it and letting it sit for a few minutes, then scrub with a wire brush.

It looks as if it might be the rust or the urine from the last owner's pets. Both are probably not ideal for the chins to swallow though.

I will definitely pick up a wire brush.

I wonder if you could use one of those foaming bathroom cleaners, like Dow "with Scrubbing Bubbles" if you rinsed the heck out of it afterwards. The foam just might "foam" the grime out.

Assuming this isn't rust.... Has anyone tried rubbing a little baking soda and then spraying it with a vinegar/water mix to get urine off? I have used this method to remove build up from hedgehog wheels/cages that have come with rescues. It does take a little scrubbing, but the baking soda is a mild abrasive. Plus the chemical reaction between baking soda & vinegar helps lift the stain/build up.

I would try the baking soda too. I love that stuff, we use it to clean everywhere. When I got Kiwis f.n. it reeked of ferret so I used pure bleach on it and left it out in the sun for 2 days. Pure bleach evaporates and the sun helped break it down. The smell was completely gone. I did rinse with the hose, after scrubbing.

....not sure what type of vehicle you own - but I know that twice a year - I take my parrot's cage to the do-it-yourself carwash and use the power sprayer - it gets EVERYTHING off. Maybe ask a neighbor if they have a power washer you could borrow?

....not sure what type of vehicle you own - but I know that twice a year - I take my parrot's cage to the do-it-yourself carwash and use the power sprayer - it gets EVERYTHING off. Maybe ask a neighbor if they have a power washer you could borrow?

Exactly what I was going to recommend! We just bought a power washer, but before, I'd load stuff up and drive down to the coin-operated car wash and use the high pressure hose--no chemicals to worry about, and it will take off any grime you can't reach normally!

What dilution of vinegar and water do you use? I also got a new cage recently that reeks of ferret (and so does my car now :-S)

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would revive it instead of starting a new one.

I've had my FN for about 4 months now and I've been scared to do a full cleaning. I keep seeing threads about people who buy used FN142s and they are rusted from being hosed down? I don't want to clean it with water if it's going to rust. Is there some way to still be able to clean it without rusting?

It really needs it, I didn't notice until this weekend that while 3 sides of the cage look great yet, the back is where all the urine is dripping down the bars and drying thick on the cross bars, and starting to smell. I wiped what I could with vinegar/water and paper towels but it needs a FULL cleaning.

Back