Cleaning Solution & Carrying Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiftyKat

Crazy Cat & Rodent Lady!
Hello all!

I have three questions today ...

1) Are the rodent cage cleaners okay to use to wipe down the chinchilla cages? If not (which I'm gonna bet they aren't), what solution or mixture is the best to use? Can you use this stuff on the wood shelving as well?

2) When you wash the fleece items, should you even use detergent, or just let them wash in plain water? I know they make special baby washing detergent, but I doubt that is chin safe either. I am als guessing you don't want to use fabric softener sheets?

3) I have a date to ge my chinchillas, FINALLY! YAY! I was just wondering what kind of carrier would be best to bring them home in. We have about a six hour drive from where we pick them up to home. I was thinking one of the carry cages sold by Bass Equipment or Quality Cages. However, what size would be best for two chins for that type of ride?

Okay, I think I'm done, for now .... ;)

I use a vinegar/water mix to clean everything. If you can rinse real well and make sure everything is dry, you can use bleach/water, but I usually don't go that route unless something's super grimy.

For wood shelving, I the same mixture.

Washing the fleece, I use regular detergent. Works fine for me, no problems with the chins. Some people throw in some white vinegar in the wash to help with the smell. Don't use the fabric softener - not so much because of safety (though, in all reality, I don't know if it's safe) - but because fleece that's got fabric softener on it won't absorb the liquids. It acts almost as a barrier to absorption.

For a carrier, its really what works best for you. For one-chin trips, I take plastic cat carriers. Some people don't like them, say the chins chew through them... I've been using the same one for 10 years now with various chins and no chews yet. Works for me. For multi-chin trips, I use my ryerson carriers. Though that wouldn't work for two chins being kept in the same carrier, unless you wanted to separate them. For the size of the carrier, you really don't need to get anything huge. Something big enough for two chins to sit and turn around and really, you're good. That's about how big the ryerson carriers are, and I'd venture to say those are the safest. Less room for the chin to move around = less room for them to go flying if you were in an accident or were to stop quickly.

I use a plastic carrier aswell. They chins can only nibble the doorframe when the carrierdoor is open. Once they are locked in, they can just bite the bars wich stops very fast.
Riding in a car can have some positive effect on chins aswell! My chins (and other people have same experiences) get excited at first from the movement etc, but once the car starts driving all they do is sleep. If the chins aren't bounded yet, they will be soon if transported in a carrier in the car!
Just make sure the carrier is unable to slide from one side to the other...
For longer trips I always add some hay and a waterbottle that i attach to the carriers door bars.

51x5yg.jpg

About washing the fleece: we just wash em just like we would wash a fleece pulover, with detergent and everything, and never had probs. The hammocks we have never smell (they don't pee on them) so it would work with clear water aswell I guess -_-

Last edited:
Hello all!

I have three questions today ...

1) Are the rodent cage cleaners okay to use to wipe down the chinchilla cages? If not (which I'm gonna bet they aren't), what solution or mixture is the best to use? Can you use this stuff on the wood shelving as well?

2) When you wash the fleece items, should you even use detergent, or just let them wash in plain water? I know they make special baby washing detergent, but I doubt that is chin safe either. I am als guessing you don't want to use fabric softener sheets?

3) I have a date to ge my chinchillas, FINALLY! YAY! I was just wondering what kind of carrier would be best to bring them home in. We have about a six hour drive from where we pick them up to home. I was thinking one of the carry cages sold by Bass Equipment or Quality Cages. However, what size would be best for two chins for that type of ride?

Okay, I think I'm done, for now .... ;)

1. I've been told half vinegar and half water will do the trick. Also, hydrogen peroxide works because it oxidises and become safe after it hits the air!

2. Never use fabric softener, it won't make the fleece absorb any more. Use Tide original and you can throw in some vinegar or some Oxyclean.

3. I highly recommend this carrier as the mesh allows for it to be really breathable, allowing temperatures to stay low. The wire mesh means you don't have to worry about them chewing on the plastic AND you can easily cover the plastic bottom with a piece of fleece to prevent chewing there as well :)

On a side note, make sure you have hay cubes instead of hay for a cleaner ride home and that you stop every two-three hours for water breaks. Don't hang the water in the carrier, otherwise your chin could get wet!

Congratulations!!!

Latest posts

Back