Cleaning Cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annieo

Loving Pet Owner
As you know Tibby and Baggy are in separate FN142s and not participatory for playtime (although they have on occasion run about in each other's cages.)

I really want to take each cage outside and give it a good squirt down in the driveway with a hose for cleaning.

Will I totally devastate each one if I block one level of each one's cage to house them while I clean the cages? I figure it would be around 20-30 minutes of joint housing.

Thank you.

When you say separate FN142s do you mean two double level FNs or do you mean only one with them each in a half? I think if you cleaned the cage normally, then put one in each half... assuming you have two doubles, that they would be fine. When I took mine outside to clean it, it was a fairly long process so I'd plan on keeping them in the same cage for most of a day. Make a weekend of it and do one each day. They need to completely dry and will most likely have to be at least partly disassembled to be taken outside. I rinsed mine down with a bleach solution (about 1 part bleach 9 parts water) after rinsing it down with the hose. I then rinsed it several more times and allowed it to dry outside for a bit. Then it had to be taken inside and toweled the rest of the way off. I let it sit assembled overnight before setting things back up.

If you are talking about them sharing a cage, as in having access to each other, I would not recommend it. If they have never been housed together before it could turn out badly. It'd be better to put one of them in a carrier or a smaller temp cage than to put them in the same cage even for 20-30 minutes. However, if it's just being exposed to the other one's smells by being in half of their cage... without access to each other, I don't see any issues myself.

Thanks Lily for your input.

No, I mean, they each have their own FN142 and I would split it for cleaning. No interaction. :)

I don't think it would be a big issue Annie. They might pout for a bit since they're used to more space, but I don't think they'll hate you for too long. ;)

I would put the chin whose cage is being cleaned in its carrier, especially the one who was a chewer. My chewer had a cow when another chin was in its cage, even with him not being there.

I didn't realize one of them was a fur chewer. Yes might not want to risk stressing the chin out and starting back up the chewing. Do you have a temp cage, even a small one, that you could put each chin in while you clean their cage? I definitely think it's going to be more than a 20-30 minute process. It took me about 20 minutes just to remove all the toys from the inside of the cage before disassembling it.

I just have to say, I will be SO impressed if you get this done in 20 mins. Can you time yourself? Perhaps we can start a record book. The Chinness Book of World Records! :D

Ha! So true! It takes me an hour when I do the weekly cage cleaning. With vacuuming the cage, the fleece and then the floor of my room; scooping up all the bedding into a bag while getting it all over the floor and myself; spraying it and cleaning it then putting all the toys back; washing the water bottle; taking out the garbage; replacing the hay and feed etc etc. I am slow, but it takes me more time to clean Chloe's cage than it does to pick up my room a bit gah!

Annie--tape it and make it into a movie. Maybe have Mudslide help you clean ;)

Oh, and, I think they'll be fine while they're wallowing in misery in their half sized dungeons of squalor :OSarcasm:

if half of an FN is your only option for keeping them contained while you do the cage scrubbing, i'd put Tibbs in the top and Baggy in the bottom, since Tibbs has the fur chewing issue - might be less stressful for him to not be under another chin he can't see? and move over a few of his favourite things - tube, hammock, etc. could help, eh?

Back