Ciprofloxacin for a chin kit?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastcoastchins

I had a chin baby to the vet today for a crusty eye. She got his eye open and a lot of pus came out. I feel so bad for the little guy :( anyway, she said it was infected and said that she would prescribe an eye drop antibiotic to treat him. She warned though that chins do not tolerate most antibiotics well, and because he's just a baby it could be risky. She said though that it had to be treated, there really isn't a choice. She prescribed ciprofloxacin, 2 drops a day and wants to see him again on Monday. She also said I should clean his eye first. Is this safe to use on him? I'm very worried about him. Has anyone used it with success?

Did she check the eye for corneal abrasions? I have never used cipro for eyes and would be leary on a kit since its very close to baytril which kits can't have oral or injectable, not sure about eyes but IMO based on nothing but my gut I would not want to use it for a kit. For infections my vet Rxs gentamicin and corneal abrasions neopolydex, people also use terramycin for infections.

I would use Tobramycin drops and TMS, not Cipro.

Dawn - I don't recommend the terramycin because it makes such a mess and it's a bear to get in the eye, especially on a struggling kit. That's just me though, I hate the goo everywhere on the chin.

Thanks for the recommendations. Since my vet is closed for the night, should I do the cipro drop tonight then call tomorrow to ask about the tobramycin, or should I just hold off and not do anything for tonight?

Trimethsulfa, its a oral antibiotic that is used with eye drops on tough cases. I don't do kits, WAY too much to worry about!

Last edited:
We have used Cipo eye drops for a 4 weeks old kit with closed eye lids and lots of white pus. It went away at the fourth day. We continue with it for 7 days as the vets prescribed. Cipo eye drops is very effective.

My apologies - I did not see the "drops" part of the Cipro. For some reason I thought it was orally, which is why I suggested the other medication. I have not used Cipro drops, have always used Tobramycin drops, then if need be used the oral in conjunction with the drops.

The reason I am not diggin cipro drops for a kit is that some of the eye drop can end up in the throat through the lacrimal duct drain, its why sometimes chins go off feed when given eye drops, nasty taste.

When I called my vet, she said that the reason she chose the Cipro is that the side effects of the others mentioned (tobramycin and gentamicin), if they happen, are more likely to be fatal, while if the kit gets side effects from the cipro they are less likely to be fatal. Her recommendation was to stick with the cipro for him.

Fatal side effects from eye drops resulting in death? I've used Tobramycin on all ages of chins (from day old newborns up to elderly) and have never had anyone die from them. Never has any vet that I've used mentioned a side effect of death. Why would it cause death?

I also have never heard of death by eye drop, any antibiotic can cause death if the chin is allergic, rare but has happened.

She said the side effects associated with those are often bowel issues, which are more commonly fatal than the joint-issue side effects that could happen with cipro.

Eastcoast - I have never heard that from any vet. As Dawn said, maybe if they had an allergic reaction, but not dying from an eye drops. Can you ask your vet to provide research on this? We all benefit from learning.

Latest posts

Back