Chronic Over Heating?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

So ever since Fatso over heated one day after playtime when the temp in the house rose eithout us noticing, he seems to be more prone to overheating. His brother is just fine at any temp. It happening again today. Yes it was a little warmer but I turned the A/C one before playtime.
Last week it was 68degrees and the same thing.

Basically it just his ears getting very red and him lying down under his ramp where he can stick his face and ears against the mesh. After a bit, he jumping around like nothing happened.

So are some chins just more prone to this than others? Will this be something that will happen all the time now with him only?

I can't wait to finish our basement now where it is always cool because I am getting worried.

Some chinchillas are just more prone to over heating. It is best just to be safe rather than sorry and be more careful in the future

I didn't expect it at 68degrees. And he is always the more adventerous, active, crazy of the two.
I almost don't want to take him our for playtime.

Just like people, each chinchilla has its own tolerance to different temperatures. Take precautions in the future now that you know he's a little more sensitive.

What happened when he overheated before? Was there a thread about it? I'm just curious... :chin5:

I'm wondering why your calling him "Fatso"? Is he large x huge? How old is he?
I think any animal overweight would have a better chance of overheating - maybe get him a wheel to get back in shape!

You may also find he overheats more if he has longer fur. My big lad has got really thick, dense, long fur.
This makes him prone to getting warm and prone to fur rings also.

my bot Fatty (another name that suggests an overweight chin but he isn't, when i got him from petstore as a little guy he did look like a butterball but has slimmed down) has extremely dense fur. you can hardly see the skin at all when you part his fur. many times at night after his playtime his ears are bright red and feel super hot. i do keep my place at around 68 too. my other boy Buckie, has never gotten like that. I think it's just a difference in fur thickness really

I'm wondering why your calling him "Fatso"? Is he large x huge? How old is he?
I think any animal overweight would have a better chance of overheating - maybe get him a wheel to get back in shape!

He is not overweight. They are both the same size and they do have a wheel.
We call him Fatso because he was the bigger of the two when we got them and he loves to eat.
It just became the name I started calling him from his eating habit and it stuck.

my bot Fatty (another name that suggests an overweight chin but he isn't, when i got him from petstore as a little guy he did look like a butterball but has slimmed down) has extremely dense fur. you can hardly see the skin at all when you part his fur. many times at night after his playtime his ears are bright red and feel super hot. i do keep my place at around 68 too. my other boy Buckie, has never gotten like that. I think it's just a difference in fur thickness really

That's interesting but my boys are twins. I mean they are exactly alike. The only difference is Fatso has freckles on his ears. That's how we tell them apart.
But Chewy goes on like nothing happens.

Fatso just lies down against the mesh (going to get a chiller) to cool down. We do put a Mason jar with ice in there. The very first time he liked but he usually ignores it and before you know it he is up and eating and running.
It just freaks one out to see him lying there like he is dead. Sometimes he has a piece of hay in his mouth too. It's like Huck Finn. Haha

oh. sorry i missed the part about them being brothers. that is strange then. and yea that image would scare me too. although, i cant help but kind of laugh at picturing a chin version of huck finn, or should i say Huck Chinn. heh heh. ok. its too early.

Back