chopping blocks / cutting boards for chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

I found a decent source for wooden chopping/ cutting boards locally and I was wondering if the wood commonly used for these would be OK for chins.

I don't know the type of wood directly, but its made from several pieces either glued or pressed together. (Has a stripped look, dark and light wood). If its OK for us to eat off of, then whats the chance it would be OK for a chin to occasionally chew?

Similar to these:
http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=01042366&RankThis=Y&Searched=cutting board&

Not sure about the 'oil finish', but if its safe for people, maybe I can sand it to remove some of the finish?

I was considering getting a decent size one, cutting it in half with my table saw and making some shelves.

I wouldn't use it. Just buying plain ol' wood from a home improvement store would be way cheaper anyway.

Who knows if the wood is safe. Generally the cutting boards don't wear down far enough so that we're cutting on the glue layer. The wood is also porous, the finish most likely has seeped pretty deep into the board.

Cutting boards are not safe for chins. The oil process is done multiple times to allow it to seep into the pores of the wood. Most oils are linseed based. The board you are looking at is glued together and not the best quality in terms of cutting boards. You are better off going to home depot for your wood.

No. Not only is the species of wood unknown, but any possibility that it has been treated with even the slightest but of oil is unacceptable for chins.

Back