choking on water

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ysy

hi,

I need some advice from some of the more experienced chin owners out there. My girl choked on some water while she was out for playtime today. She went back to her cage for a drink and the next thing I knew, she looked like she was gagging (mouth open ears back) and made a little coughing noise.

She was fine after she did that gagging thing, and accepted a pellet from me after. She's nibbling on her hay as I'm typing. Should I be worried about anything? I admit that I do get a little paranoid from reading about URIs and getting water in the lungs.

Also, on a separate note, occasionally she does this little "huffing" noise. It sounds like exhaling hard through the nose or a quick sigh if you know what I mean. Is that normal too? Or should I be worried?

Would you advise bringing her to a vet to get her lungs listened to?

P.S. She's just recovered from a number of health issues so I'm not sure if that episode has comprised her health somewhat. It's been 2 months since she's been well.

thanks for any advice!

It sounds like she was just drinking quickly and got some "down the wrong tube".

Chins will sigh just like people. URI's are usually signaled by wheezing and clicking, no desire to eat, reduced water intake, and lethargy.

If you want to take her in and have her lungs listened to it probably wouldn't hurt, but due to the one episode there I would not worry too much unless you see her not eating and not playing as much.

thank you :)

That puts my mind at ease. I checked on her this morning and she seems fine (begging for breakfast through the bars). I won't be bringing her to the vet then as her regular vet is semi-retired and has a 2 week waiting list - although he will see her if I just bring her in... but I don't want to bother him over what is probably nothing.

Latest posts

Back