Choking Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rach06ao

Chinnie Lover
Hi guys
Yesterday night my chinchillas were in the care of my boyfriend as they were exercising. Apparently a box (heavy) fell on one of my chinchillas. I rushed as soon as I could to see my chinchilla with blood pouring out of his nose/mouth (the worse state I have ever seen any of my chinchillas in). I immediately called the emergency vets and rushed him straight over. He was paralysed with shock and wouldn't stop bleeding.
The vet there felt him for any broken bones etc but said she couldn't feel anything broken. Checked his lungs too with the stethoscope and said everything was fine and it was just shock. She said to take him home and take care of him. All she did was inject metacam. I asked her if the blood was stuck down his windpipe but she said she wouldn't know and couldn't perform an operation on him because of his size.
This was a bleeding chinchilla who was paralysed with shock and wheezing all the time. (I paid £150 just for metacam...some vets are unbelievable - this was PDSA).
I got him home at around 1am and he wouldn't move at all. Tried hand feeding but he would cough it straight back up. I moved him in my bedroom and left the heater on for him all night and obviously observed him throughout the night (1am - 11am) obviously because this would be his wake up hours.
Now he is moving about and peeing still and passing droppings. He still won't eat however and is still sounding like he's choking and wheezing.
Took him to another vets today and they say there is nothing they can do but have me wait until he gets better or worse. That's no help to me.

I am scared that he has dried blood in his lungs preventing him from getting all the air he needs. I swear he is breathing out of his mouth. I have cleaned up all the blood around his mouth and nose etc to help him breathe. Everytime I try feeding him - he coughs it back out of his mouth. Should I force feed him? I don't want to incase I make it harder for him to breathe.

If anyone has known a chinchillas airways to become blocked and unable to breathe properly please give me advice. I feel alone as the vets seem useless.

Where on your chin's body did this box fell on?
I've had my ribs broken before and when I was examined the er doc felt my rib cage and asked does it hurt here does it hurt there, of course I can answer, but a chinchilla can't answer that. Not always can you feel a broken rib or if your chin was hurt around the skull area that can't always be felt. If I were in your situation, my chin will get xrayed right away. This way you can be more sure nothing is blocking his airway or anything fractured. Good luck, sorry you and your chin is going through this.

x-rays i think are definitely needed here, to ensure there are no bones broken. one thing i would be worried about though, is putting a chin under in such a weakened/shocked condition.

Post your location and maybe someone here can recommend a vet that might actually do something!

Thank you for all your replies. My partner says the box fell right on him :( I took him to the vets but they said xrays aren't an option as he is too small (he's 5 months old) and the anaesthetic could kill him.
I live in the Bradford area in the UK.
Trying my best right now to forgive my boyfriend.
My chinchilla is still pooing and peeing and I am hand feeding him via syringe every 6 hours critical care. He is moving about but his breathing is a bit wheezy still.

I'm glad he is eating, pooing and peeing. It won't hurt to hear a second opinion from another exotic vet. I mean just call them and explain what happened and what your current vet told you. It was an accident so don't try to be too mad at him.
I hope your baby boy will be ok.

Back