Chloramphenical for toe infection?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterrx

Dante bit Beck's toe 3 weeks ago. I put Blu-Kote in it and took him to the vet initially, and it was okay. It was looking swollen the last couple of days so I took him back, and it's gotten infected. We're going to try antibiotics first and if that doesn't help it heal we'll have the toe amputated. The vet wants to use chloramphenical. Is that one that's likely to cause decreased appetite? Anything else I should be concerned about with using it? I've dealt with handfeeding and pain meds with malo but this is the first time I've had a chin needing antibiotics.

IMO its a little too heavy duty for a toe infection, it is my antibiotic of choice for bad infection now since baytril resistant bacteria is a real threat to chinchillas. I have used it and have not had the appetite loss but was warned of the possibility by the vet. This was on hand fed chins so frankly they had no choice but to eat, so on a healthy chin I cannot say for sure. I IMO again would want TMS or a sulfa based antibiotic for a simple toe infection, if it is indeed simple but then again I would opt for the amputation.

IMO its a little too heavy duty for a toe infection, it is my antibiotic of choice for bad infection now since baytril resistant bacteria is a real threat to chinchillas. I have used it and have not had the appetite loss but was warned of the possibility by the vet. This was on hand fed chins so frankly they had no choice but to eat, so on a healthy chin I cannot say for sure. I IMO again would want TMS or a sulfa based antibiotic for a simple toe infection, if it is indeed simple but then again I would opt for the amputation.

I agree with ticklechin's thoughts. Since the wound hasn't healed in 3 weeks and is getting worse I too would opt to do amputation. The toe may been have been injured in a way that leaves it prone to re-injury or infection and never heal correctly.

Chins normally recover quickly when they lose a toe and adapt to life without it very well.

I'm okay with doing the amputation. Beck bit Gizmo last year and Gizmo lost part of a toe. He did just fine. Beck's toe was really swollen, so the vet wanted to at least try to get the infection under control before surgery. I think Beck may have been chewing on the injured foot and made it worse himself, so I'm a bit worried he'd chew on the stitches from surgery, too. Gizmo never touched his, but Beck is completely different. We already have an appointment for a re-check next week and if it's not better I'll just ask for the surgery then.

Thank you for the input, ladies!

If you are worried about him chewing I did see someone's chin on here had a very tiny cone on his head, so that might be a possibility

Beck has stopped eating. :( I'm stopping the chloramphenicol tonight, handfeeding, and calling the vet in the morning. If my regular vet is open I'll get the toe amputated. If not, I'll go to the emergency vet and ask for a sulfa drug to get us through until Monday.

The good news is the toe looks better, at least.

Last edited:
stopping medications before the entire prescribed amount has been used is what causes bacteria to be resistant to drugs. Dawn mentioned that appetite loss was possible with this drug. IMO I would continue with the meds as prescribed and hand feed Beck to get some food into him.

Thankfully, Dr. Johnson was in the office today. I took Beck in as soon as I got off the phone with the receptionist. The toe looks much better, so the chloramphenicol was working, but we can't have him not eating. We switched to injectable Baytril once daily to get an equally as effective drugs while bypassing the digestive tract. Dr. Johnson showed me how to do it, gave the first injection, and then let me try two saline injections for practice.

It looked like Beck had already lost part of the bone in the toe so he wanted a strong drug to get into the bone. He didn't want to amputate yet and risk the infection still spreading. If he does need surgery that's fine; most importantly I don't want that infection spreading where he loses the whole foot or leg, or becomes septic.

Beck is MAD after being stuck 3 times and then being hand fed when he got home. :(

stopping medications before the entire prescribed amount has been used is what causes bacteria to be resistant to drugs.
Yep, I know. I'm a pharmacist so I have to tell people this all the time. I can't have Beck not eating, though. That's a much bigger problem. He only missed one dose and is already on Baytril injections. ;)

Back