Chloe's Annals and Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

So about a month ago, Chloe got attacked by my roommate's cat from under the door (read about it here). Then her wounds got infected and got a URI (read here).

I went away for a week and came back a week ago. Her wounds look loads better but her foot has a big bump on it. The actual scab on her foot looks fine and is healing fine, but the bump is still there. I examined it and it doesn't seem attached to her skin, it doesn't move when I touch it. It seems uncomfortable to her when I push on it, but I am also pushing on the scab. It's not red or hot, just a mass. My fear is it's an abscess that has gone deep. It might be getting smaller, but I really can't tell.

And I'm so paranoid she still has a URI. She doesn't sneeze or have anything on her nose but she breaths heavily when I put my ear up to her. I can't tell if she's sniffing or wheezing. I can't hear her breathing unless I'm right up to her and she doesn't seem to have labored breathing. How long can a chin have a URI and not deteriorate from it? I mean--if she's had this thing for about 2.5 weeks. Would she have gotten worse by now if she really still had the URI or can it be calmed temporarily and kind of wait for an opportunity to flare up if it's not totally gone?

So I made a couple videos since I'm home for the weekend. I tried to get some of her shaved area and you can see her skin but all the wounds on her underside are almost gone, just some pink scars. Her foot has a wound on the inner side of it and you can see one of her toes is dark (it healed like that, with dark skin, it feels fine though). I'm thinking of seeing if I can also send these to my vet and see what he thinks since I'm sure Chloe doesn't need the stress of being seen again if she doesn't have to.

Sorry for switching the angles and don't mind the baby talk and creepy heavy breathing laughing. I wasn't aware that this camera had audio as well...

Chloe 1

Chloe 2

If you are concerned I highly recommend going to the vet. Cat scratches are extremely dangerous to small animals and there can be complications that need antibiotics to cure. Hope Chloe feels better soon.

I would go to to the vets they may be able to give her something to boost along the healing, i hope its nothing too serious and it could be an abscess but you will feel better getting her checked out :) I hope she gets better soon.

Thanks, guys.

Yea she was on two different antibiotics. She was sulfa trim for 10 days for the wounds, then when I noticed the URI symptoms about 2 days later, she was on doxycycline for 10 days also. She ended that a week ago. So she was on antibiotics pretty much continuously for about 3 weeks. I was hoping that would do the trick, but I pretty much decided last night that I was going to call my vet on monday and make an appointment. The last thing I want to do is let an abscess go deeper into her body and have her get a systemic infection. And I want to make sure her URI is gone and see if the vet can hear her lungs clearly with a stethoscope, since her wheezing is the main symptom she had that I can't tell is present or not.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any similar experiences mainly to either calm my neurosis or make me hypervigilant (hopefully the truth would calm my neurosis...).

She's acting normal, actually feistier. She knocked her food bowl over three times last night. She hasn't had play time since it happened, so in a month. I think she's getting cabin fever, but she can get over that. And she's pooping more than she ever has in her life!! I think it's the benebac. She's slowly starting to eat more hay and chewies since she didn't that much when I picked her up after my vacation. I think the vets didn't give her many chewies so she needs to readjust.

Good to know she seems better, i just thought when my cat had an abscess on her tail she stopped eating and all she did was hide behind the sofa, when we took her to the vets they drained it and she picked up really quickly :D

Chloe has a vet appointment for wednesday morning (earliest I could get unfortunately).

I bought some wood from Ronda (which arrived super fast!) and got some hay online since the pet store always has really dry, dusty hay (but I'm beginning to think oxbow just has some dusty hay) and Chloe is freaking out with all the new stuff. She's popcorning everywhere, not that it's not a nightly occurrence anyways, but she's rowdier than usual.

I do actually think she's still sick but she sure doesn't act like it. Hopefully it's something easily fixable and I can stop stressing her out with all this poking and prodding. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I keep yelling at her to stop fooling around and get healthy already!!

Will update on wednesday.

I have no idea if I'm just talking (er...typing) to myself at this point but it wouldn't be the first time anyways.

Per the vet, Chloe is ok. The bump on her foot actually went down today (go figure, you go to the vet's right as the symptom goes away and you're left trying to convince some person that it was there just last night--I swear to god, it was!!) and the doc told me he didn't think it was an abscess and it might be suture material that needs to dissolve and is trapped underneath. That didn't sound good to me but either way, there are no signs of infection to it and I wouldn't feel comfortable either putting her on an antibiotic with no signs. Her dark toes are ok and not gangrene (I know, I am that paranoid I asked).

He listened to her lungs and said they sounded ok. She sneezed a few times yesterday and I freaked out. But he said he'd be more worried about putting her on antibiotics once again more than if she actually had a minor cold. So hopefully she will recover fully and if she doesn't, I'll bring her back.

I think she officially hates the vet's. Everytime we go, she shakes in her cage beforehand. When I picked her up after boarding, she was shaking in the car. I thought before she was doing it when she was sick because she was sick but I think she's just scared of being poked and handled all the time.

I have no idea if I'm just talking (er...typing) to myself at this point but it wouldn't be the first time anyways.

You're not I promise! Just remember if you update it someone is going to read it.

Glad to see she is doing better.

Back