ChinSpin Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NatalieH

I recently bought a 15 inch QC Chin Spin (along with a brand new QC mansion!) for my chinnie, Julian. The family I adopted her from didn't have a wheel in her cage, so I'm assuming she has never used one before. She'll sit in it from time to time, but I don't think she understands the concept of running in it. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you have any suggestions for teaching her how to use the wheel. Thanks!

My chin figured out how to use her chin spin right away and has used it daily since she got it. It is the best purchase I've made for her. But I have heard that it can take some chins longer to figure out how to use it. I would think your chin would eventually figure it out, but what if you set her on it and gave it a little spin to introduce the idea to her...?

The wheel has been in with her for about 3 weeks.

I'll have to try setting her in the wheel and moving it a bit. I haven't done that yet because I thought it might scare her and then she'd be afraid of the wheel.

If you turn it slow, with her in it, and your hand kinda keeping her in there, she should get the hint! Did it with my violet-wrap male, and now he won't get off it! Seems 24-7!

I've had the chin spin in her cage for over a year and she doesn't touch it. I'm hoping though that maybe when I upgrade her cage and/or change the layout a bit, she'll start using it. I've been told that its really rare that a chin doesn't use their wheel though. I'm still hopeful :rofl: I hope your girl uses it soon!!

I held a shredie up in front of Gus and made him stretch for it -- basically made him get into the running position. That forced him to take a couple steps b/c he wanted that shredie and I think he got the idea! He was back on the wheel cautiously exploring a few minutes after devouring the treat. He also fell out a couple times! It takes an acquired skill to slow down the wheel properly. Now he likes to stand in it while it rocks back and forth, the nutcase.

Back