Chins with dogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are chinchillas ok with dogs? The reason I'm asking is because (hopefully) later this year my family may be getting a dog. Obviously I would NEVER let them play together but there may be instances where the dog might be in the same room as the cage (the cage is on a ledge and a stand so theres no way the dog would be able to get to them) but i wouldnt want them being scared by the dog. We would be getting a small dog (if we did) as our house is quite small.
If chinchillas and dogs cant live together I would not get one but it would be nice if they did! Thanks in advance :neener:

I see no issue with it, as long as the dog leaves the cage alone. The chin should get used to it eventually. Mine were always fine with other animals in the room.

As long as the chin remains in the cage, it should be fine.

they should never be aloud to come in contact with each other. Not even letting the dog near the cage. It only takes one little accident, one little paw swipe, or even a bacterial transference fo this to go very very wrong.

It comes down to the dog, if the dog ignores the chins there is no issue, but several breeds of small dogs particularly are rodent hunters. Two of my dogs completely ignore the chins, my third wants to eat them so he isn't allow in the same room. I also don't trust the dogs (or cats for that matter) unattended in the same room as the chins, things can happen when you aren't around.
As said no contact either, dogs can carry deadly (to chins) bacteria in their saliva so even a friendly lick though the bars or licking the cage can get the chin sick or worse. Also dogs go outside and can bring in things from the outside in their fur that is harmful to chins.
As for being scared of the dog it depends on the chin, some chins are more skittish others are more outgoing and brave. If the dog is calm then the chin should get use to the dog in time even if scared at first. They are prey animals after all so the first instinct is generally to not trust until something or someone proves no threat. However if you can't completely prevent access to the chin from the dog if needed, like have the chin in a room the dog can't get into or put fencing around the cage to prevent the dog getting too close, I don't advise getting a dog.

My chin is not bothered by the presence of my dog, it should be okay once they get used to it :)) As said, just don't let them come in contact with one another.

My BC and BC mix cause no issues with the chinchillas, however I do have a gate up blocking their entrance into the cage room. They can however still see eachother. If it becomes an issue of jumping at the cage or pawing you can setup an ex-pen around the cage to keep the dog even farther away from the cage.

I think it depends on the breed of dog too. You said small dog, stay AWAY from terriers (Yorkies, westies, jack Russells) most of these dogs were bred for the purpose of ratting. Which means small animals that move quickly SPARK their kill instinct. It's not fair to your pooch or your chin if one is constantly using its instinct to kill and one is fearing for its life. Research breeds and what they were bred for. It depends on the individual dog too, but finding a dog that wasn't bred for the purpose of killing rodents would certainly help!

Latest posts

Back