Chin's poo? Please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayChillas

Puff n' Fluff
I know there's a ton of threads on here about chin poo, but I don't have time at the moment to comb through them. Anyway, I just went to check on my chins and I noticed that their poo looks and feels moist. I don't know if it's both of them or just 1. But when I pick it up it's a little squishy. The color seems normal and the shape does to I think. They seem fine, eating and drinking normally. I've had them for a little while now and switched over their food about 2 weeks ago. I'm just a little concerned. I'm a new chin owner obviously and thank goodness for this site, it's helped me so much, but I keep finding out things and it feels like everything I do is wrong. Whether the I shouldn't be feeding them a certain food or whatever it is. :/ It's a little stressful... Lol. But having them is so worth it. I love my my girls more than anything.

when poops are fresh they will be moist and a bit squishy, then dry out and harden as they sit. perhaps you found a few 'just produced' poops.

what food did you switch them on to?

Oh yes this just came out of her.

Mazuri. I'd like to switch them back to their food that the breeder was feeding them which was mana pro premium rabbit food, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm looking online for it now.

I've heard that Mazuri can cause soft poo in some chins, but my guy isn't on it so I don't have any personal experience with it. When you switched the food did you do a cold switch or a little by little over time switch? If it was a cold switch that could be a cause for soft poo. If you use the search feature and just type in something like soft poo or just poo in general it should be easier to find more information. A good thing to keep an eye out for to see if it is just cause it is fresh or if it really is soft is to watch for smearing. You may also want to clean out the cage (if you use bedding, then put in all fresh bedding) so you can keep an eye on poo and know what is new. Hope it isn't anything too serious!

I had to do a cold switch because when we got our first chin, Willow, the breeders gave us the food they were using. Then Willow passed this last september... we still had some of the food left over by the time I got these 2 girls (the breeders didn't give us any more) but it was old and I didn't want to give it to them. I switched their food over at least 2 weeks ago so do you think it's still from that?

And it isn't necessarily smearing on my chins but if I pick it up and smoosh it, it would smear. And it does appear to be when it's fresh. I can tell which chin is having the soft poo. The other girl is ok.

Thank you. I'm really stressing :( but i'm so hoping its nothing.

Sydney, it sounds like the poop isn't too soft. You will want to keep an eye on it to see if it gets any softer though. Mazuri has been known to cause softer stools. I can do some more research on you area to see if I can find the brand I fed anywhere near you. Sorry about the feed, we were in such a hurry, and I completely forgot :/ But glad to hear they are overall doing great! :)

Bobbie!

Ya i'm freaking out about everything because of the last chin :/
and it's not your fault at all, you of course didn't have to give me more food.

And it is softer. I'm trying to pick it up as much as possible cuz I dont want it to get in the chins fur. I took away the pellets and they just have hay in there for now. Where do you get your food?

I get my feed at a local farm supply store (Fleet Farm). If you could PM me your location, I can try to help you find it near you, or find a store that can order it in for you.
And yes, it's my fault on the feed; all the chins I sell come with feed to transition over- just wasn't thinking straight that day :/

Latest posts

Back