chins playing with other pets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you went out of town for a week did someone come in to check on the animals daily? I'm assuming so, but with you saying the chin was out for a week it has me more than a little concerned. I don't go out of town really for this reason, but if I need to I always find someone to come by daily to check food/water/etc.

Absolutely!
Our scheduled vacation was a month long. It was the first time we had a chance to visit friends and family in California since 2002.
I had four different families lined up to come check on the animals a minimum of twice per day. We were completly across the country when we got the news and were very concerned. I gave instructions to lay food and water where the dogs couldn't eat or drink it all and the wandering chin also had access to whole bales of hay. The chin was found unharmed and reunited with her female cage buddies.
Thanks for asking. :)

Last edited:
I have yet to see a cat that can be "trained" to leave a small furry animal alone. Cats are hunters, it's what they do. Whether you expose them to the chins or not, once they decide to hunt there isn't squat you can do about it.

I also would never allow my cats in my chin room, just like I don't find it "cute" when a cat gets on the counter and drinks out of the sink. That is disgusting. They dig in their feces and urine to make a hole to put more feces and urine in, and the thought of that next to my chins (or on my counters, table, furniture) just makes me want to hurl.

I have yet to see a cat that can be "trained" to leave a small furry animal alone. Cats are hunters, it's what they do. Whether you expose them to the chins or not, once they decide to hunt there isn't squat you can do about it.

I also would never allow my cats in my chin room, just like I don't find it "cute" when a cat gets on the counter and drinks out of the sink. That is disgusting. They dig in their feces and urine to make a hole to put more feces and urine in, and the thought of that next to my chins (or on my counters, table, furniture) just makes me want to hurl.

Tunes,
I take it you are a "dog person".
:hilarious:

Oh, I have cats. I'm just not a cat fan. When you have had as many pregnant cats dumped on you as I have (at one time in the country I had 26 cats from that mess and I had to have all of them spayed and castrated), and they destroy everything you own (screens, scratching the paint on your car, tearing up the wood siding on your house, etc.), you lose all appreciation for them. They are the kids cats and I take care of them, but I am definitely a dog person.

I will say though, in all the times I have had inside cats, NONE ever got on my counters or on my tables or my furniture. Seriously, that just grosses me out. That's fine if other people let them do that, but it would never, ever happen here. Then again, my dogs don't get on the furniture either, but they are all upwards of 100 pounds so they have nice cushy beds on the floor.

i may not let my chins and my cats play with each other but i had a cat that would come when called sleep with me and make sure i was up for my second alram and will look at the chins cage but not get near

Training a cat and training a cat not to hunt are completely different things. You can probably train any animal to do tricks if you try hard enough and use enough repetition. What you cannot do is beat down their natural instincts. People who own raccoons find this out the hard way, or those who own coatimundi's and other wild animals. They like to think they are cute furry pets until they bite the crap out of them or rip their arms open with their claws. Several hundred years of instinct can't be trained away by telling kitty no, don't bite the head off the nice chinchilla.

Every time this subject comes up it irritates me. You wouldn't let a lion "play" with a child would you? Would you allow a mountain lion to play with your horses? Of course not. First of all, you could not control the outcome. Secondly, the horse and child would be scared witless! Just because you think kitty is cute and fuzzy doesn't mean a chinchilla, who is at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to predators, thinks so!

Relax
The chins are safely in their cages and training takes place with them contained. I said I don't restrict access to the chin ROOM. I never claimed to encourage the animals to interact freely.

So when a kit gets loose it becomes cat food? Sorry, being a breeder you really don't have any excuse for letting other animals in your chin room since you should KNOW its not cool.

Cats make good target practice, there quick!

lol just kidding, I've never killed a cat.
I don't own any cats and don't like it when my aunts cat decides to come walk her muddy feet all over my black truck..........

I'm kinda like Tunes, cats on the kitchen counter is just nasty.......

i dont let my chins play with my guinea or my dog but they are all in the same room at some times. when the chins are out for playtime, my dog is in the room, since it is a living area. but i am also right there......3 feet away.

once or twice when 2 of my chins were upstairs, i was cleaning their cage and they jumped out. my dog knew she has to get out of the room and she immediatly ran to the basement stairs. i shut the door until i was able to get the chin back in the cage. i know she would never intentially hurt them but one swat of that big paw and my chinnie would get critically injured or worse.

as for the cat...........as long as your cat cant swipe her paws into your chins cage, i dont see why you couldnt have the cat in the same room while you were present.
i dont have cats, but if i did, i wouldnt allow them in the same room when i wasnt home.
cats can jump pretty high and i would be afraid they would jump ON the cage.

I guess people just don't get it, it hs been said AGAIN and AGAIN other species can carry bacteria that is fatal to chinchillas, if they can get close enough to sneeze on them they could catch it and die. I love my chinchillas too much to let any other animal near them, I guess other people just don't care.

for me it is not possible to not have my pets in the same room, since it is a general living area. my chins are in cages and when we are home my dog is in the basement with us. my guinea pig is also in the same room but not next to the chins.
i would love to have a separate room to just keep my chins. but then i wouldnt have the interaction with them that i currently have and i would have to move to a different home.

it doesnt mean that i dont care about my chins though. i love them all very much.

i get the instincts thing and the harm that can come to them but having them in the same room y they r in the cage i see nothing wrong with as of now i dont have my old cats because i moved out with my gf and we have hers i have been keeping a very close eye on them they seem to like looking at them at first but no longer cared after the first day and dont even look at the cages that much any more

While I do not let my other animals "play" with the chins, I don't keep them completely isolated either. The dogs and cats have access into the chin room where the chins are in their cages. I firmly believe that because the animals aren't totally restricted, they have had opportunities to learn proper behavior. The dogs and cats know not to bark, lunge, swat at, or otherwise harass the chins.

I kind of agree with this. Some dogs/cats want what is forbidden. It makes the "chase" more fun. My cats totally ignore the chins now and the dogs are only allowed by their cages when I am there. Any mischievous is quickly corrected. The cats walk on the floor around the cages (which are raised) and never ever climb on them. Of course they are never, ever allowed to play together outside the cage. I've let them sniff noses while I am holding a chinchilla but that is it.

Edit to add...I have mostly fat, old, lazy cats lol

Last edited:
I keep the chins in my bedroom. My 2 dogs also sleep in my bedroom. One enjoys watching the girls scamper about, the other is almost completely uninterested. The cat has sat on the bed and watched them once, for about 2 minutes, then left and hasn't been in the room since. *shrug

Don't chins have just as much chance from contracting that bacteria from you as they do from dogs/cats/guinea pigs, etc? I mean, unless you keep your chins in a sterile room, and go through a severe hazmat process, they're going to come into contact with those bacteria anyway through either the air or your hands/clothes/hair/breath. Isn't it the same basic concept as with humans - if you don't allow them some interaction with bacteria, they're more likely to die from it because they have weak immune systems - ?

I keep the chins in my bedroom. My 2 dogs also sleep in my bedroom. One enjoys watching the girls scamper about, the other is almost completely uninterested. The cat has sat on the bed and watched them once, for about 2 minutes, then left and hasn't been in the room since. *shrug

Don't chins have just as much chance from contracting that bacteria from you as they do from dogs/cats/guinea pigs, etc? I mean, unless you keep your chins in a sterile room, and go through a severe hazmat process, they're going to come into contact with those bacteria anyway through either the air or your hands/clothes/hair/breath. Isn't it the same basic concept as with humans - if you don't allow them some interaction with bacteria, they're more likely to die from it because they have weak immune systems - ?

agreed

Pasteurella is transmitted through nasal secretions and saliva, you don't pick it up on your clothes. Being its a fatal disease with no cure in chinchillas, do you really think they should have "interaction" with it? Its not much of a debate if people are not informed of what we are actually talking about, fatal diseases that are passed from other species to chinchillas. :wacko:

Last edited:
Pasteurella is transmitted through nasal secretions and saliva, you don't pick it up on your clothes. Being its a fatal disease with no cure in chinchillas, do you really think they should have "interaction" with it? Its not much of a debate if people are not informed of what we are actually talking about, fatal diseases that are passed from other species to chinchillas. :wacko:

and if u have saliva on your hand from some reason and not know it then wat cats lick them selfs clean but it doesnt mean just touching them will get them sick where they can die it has to enter them some how where can get to the point where it makes them sick unless my cat starts to make out with my chins them just looking isnt going to kill them

If they touch noses, you have a transfer. If the cat's nose touches the chin's paw...you have another transfer. The closer the proximity the more likely the chance of transfer. It doesn't take a huge amount of brain power to figure that out.

Latest posts

Back