Chins nibbling on this

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SSGSteane

I let my chins run around my hallway for their playtime. Recently I noticed that they were nibbling and eating the stuff that holds the tiles together. I stop them from doing it but they still seem to consume a little of it every time. Is that ok? I included some pics to what they were picking off and eating.

This is my hallway.
IMAGE_274.jpg

The stuff they are eating.
IMAGE_272.jpg

It looks like it's the grout?

Either way, I don't think I'd let them do it, even if there's nothing toxic in it, eventually they might ruin your tiles enough that you'd have to put new grout on it.

Can you just break up some cardboard boxes and line the hallway with it? That's what I do when I don't want the chins chewing on my baseboards.

It looks like it's the grout?

Either way, I don't think I'd let them do it, even if there's nothing toxic in it, eventually they might ruin your tiles enough that you'd have to put new grout on it.

Can you just break up some cardboard boxes and line the hallway with it? That's what I do when I don't want the chins chewing on my baseboards.

that's a good idea, thanks.

Yeah personally I would worry about grout consumption. Its far from natural and I would worry about impaction if they chewed off and ate a large enough piece. I imagine it would affect them like plastic would. You could try creative taping some cardboard to hide those areas.:sick:

It's hard to keep chins from chewing, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Even if it doesn't kill them it can't be good for them...:yuck:

Being grout is like cement, only colored, I believe there's lime in it that might cause a big problem, as it's like an acid on flesh - keep them away!!! Maybe cover it with plywood or something better than cardboard, as they love chewing that, too!

It could also be caulk, which wouldn't be good for the, either. Block them off from the tile and don't let them get to it anymore.

Back