chins living together?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbt622

Crazy Chin Lady!
So, as many of you know I have four boy chins. My two oldest have been together for about a year now. Liv is very well-behaved and loving, while Indy doesn't like being touched and can be aggressive, but he's a good boy. We brought home two little boys from Barb that were already bonded and they get along very well. Both are well-behaved and like scritches and such. Now after the 30 day quarantine period we slowly started trying playtimes with all of the boys. We had no intention of caging four boys together, but would have atleast liked for them to play together peacefully outside of their cages. At this point, we had Liv and Indy still together in their large cage and Kirby and Harley (the little boys) together in a medium-sized cage. We've had the little ones for about 3 months now. Playtime is very peaceful and they all exist well in the play area we have for them.

However, the last few days we've noticed Indy being very aggressive towards Liv. He seems to love Kirby and Harley and likes to clean them and hump them ;) Liv is more interested in myself and my boyfriend, laying on us and watching tv with us. When either Kirby or Harley come near him he runs away even if they barely touch him and the last couple days he's been avoiding Indy like the plague. This morning during playtime I noticed Indy chasing Liv a lot. So I put him away and let Liv have his own playtime. He seemed much happier. I decided that Liv needs to be seperate from Indy (obviously), but I couldn't decide what to do with the little ones. I do have a third cage for the babies to be together and Liv and Indy have their own cages, but Indy is very fond of the little ones. I decided to try Indy with Kirby and Harley in Liv and Indy's old cage. Liv is now in Kirby and Harley's old cage. He is sleeping peacefully with his stuffed buddy.

Does this seem okay to everyone? Although Indy seems to get along with Kirby and Harley so well right now, I'm afraid his aggressive side will come out. (I know this can happen anytime with chins) Or do you think that is just how he was with Liv? Do you think Liv will be okay alone? I feel bad because the cage he's in now is much smaller than his old cage, so I will be ordering him a new cage which will hopefully come in about a week, but it's still a bit smaller than his old cage. I want to provide them all with the best circumstances and right now this seems like the best option to me.

I appreciate any advice, suggestions, criticism and whatever else you guys think is best. Thanks!

sounds okay to me, i would think chasing and fur flying would be a stronger indicator that Indy and Liv cannot be together anymore, but that is just my opinion.

sounds okay to me, i would think chasing and fur flying would be a stronger indicator that Indy and Liv cannot be together anymore, but that is just my opinion.

the last two days there has been chasing that made me uncomfortable. also this morning i noticed some loose fur of Liv's in their cage so I think there was fur flying. I also over-worry a bit ;) but it's better than not worrying at all, i guess! haha

Very true!
If you are uncomfortable then I would separate them, better safe then sorry. Right?
Do you have pictures of your guys up on the forum yet? I'd like to see them. :)

oh no! well they're all in chin chat, just look for threads I started i guess? or you could just wait till you get home, i'm just impatient cause i love looking at chinnies ;)

i adore them all! sooo cute :) that white mosaic really does have unique markings! I would love a boy like that!

My Pikachu was a little agro at the begininng when the boys became cagemates. Everytime I saw him behaving in an anti social manner I'd separate him in his own cage. Eventually it seemed to click with him that misbehaving put him in the little lonely chins cage. By the fourth swap back he was all about cleaning and cuddling instead of chasing.

Good luck! Bonding chinnies is a fine art

So the plan didn't go so well. Derek and I left with all the boys happy and comfortable and came home not even two hours later. Kirby was on a ledge by himself and Harley and Indy were laying together. I didn't think much of it but when i opened the cage for them to come out to play Kirby sprinted out and tried to find somewhere to hide. I got a hold of him and he had a gigantic chunk of fur out of his butt. I can see his skin. Needless to say he is NOT going back in the cage with Indy or Harley. Oh well, it was worth a shot :(

Latest posts

Back