Chins laying in bright sunlight - Vitamin D?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rickman

Since my house faces a weird way, and the curtains don't cover the window all the way, I get a 4 inch sliver if sunshine on a bright day in the chin room. I've noticed when this happens, anywhere the sliver falls, my chins seem to "bask" in it, although they can move away, even the ebonies!
Does anyone know if this additional Vitamin D is required, or good for them?
The room is always around 65-70, but can they overheat, or would they move when uncomfortable? Never had any visable discomfort evident while "sunbathing", either!

My guess is the bright sun feels good this time of year when there isn't too much heat radiating from it yet. I would imagine that they would move to a cooler spot if they became overheated. I personally haven't heard about chins needing to be exposed to sunlight for vitamin D which aids in calcium absorption. I don't think chins have too many problems with calcium deficiencies. But at the same time, I don't think exposure to the sun for brief moments will hurt them either. And as I've been told by fellow bird owners ( birds need more exposure to light for overall well-being) that today's windows filter out most of the uv rays anyway. So again, if your windows are mostly covered and your chin migrates over to sunlight, they must enjoy it, as long as the light doesn't overheat them or the room. Let them bask away!

Your chins are probably not producing vitamin D from the sunlight, because in most animals the process requires a specific frequency of UV light, which is mostly blocked by clear glass and plastics. However, don't worry about them ever producing too much, because the body actually has its own system of checks and balances to deal with the nutrients it produces on its own. It will stop making it if there is too much. Hypervitaminosis is only a problem when you are adding vitamins and minerals to a diet.

I assume that as long as they have a choice of sun or shade, your chinchillas should be able to regulate their temperature as well...

I had also heard from my doctor that you can't overdose on vitamin D.

Inca-bink - you are right down the road from me. I'm in Ferndale, just south of the border. We're practically neighbors!

If they were uncomfortable they would move. If their room darker??? Maybe they are just enjoying the extra light as well.

But tell them to be careful for chinnie tanlines:tease:

Hey Jenn - cool! WA rules!

You can't overdose from vitamin D that your body makes, but you can if you add too much to your diet. It is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means it is harder for your body to just secrete away (like vitamin C and B vitamins) and it stores it. High concentration supplements are usually the culprits, and symptoms of toxicity include anorexia, vomiting, kidney failure, and weakness. These are usually reversable, although some long term damage can be done, especially in people who are young or old.

Hey Jenn - cool! WA rules!

You can't overdose from vitamin D that your body makes, but you can if you add too much to your diet. It is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means it is harder for your body to just secrete away (like vitamin C and B vitamins) and it stores it. High concentration supplements are usually the culprits, and symptoms of toxicity include anorexia, vomiting, kidney failure, and weakness. These are usually reversable, although some long term damage can be done, especially in people who are young or old.

I'm actually on a prescription vitamin D because my last exam showed I was way too low and I had been feeling terrible for some time. Western Washington just does not get enough sun! My doc told me it would take A LOT to overdose, that it was very difficult to do so. I take it 3 times a week.

But, I'm a human, unlike chins, so I don't know if the same rule applies to them or not. But I don't think a chin can o.d. from Vit. D through a window. At least not in Western Washington! :)

Oh, no, not through a window, because your body won't make more than it needs. And obviously you should listen to your doctor!

But in this age of super-supplements and "more is better," toxicities in people are becoming more common. And because people apply the same logic to their pets (who have food that is generally fortified with most vitamins) it is a danger with some vitamins and minerals that most animals aren't built to deal with in such large quantities. A general rule of thumb is that excesses of fat-soluble vitamins like A, E, D, and to a much lesser extent, K, are generally stored in the body and therefore long-term high doses can be dangerous. Water soluble vitamins like C and B vitamins are not stored well in the body and generally pass right through -which means that you'd need enough to cause toxicity in a very short amount of time to experience symptoms. Minerals are a bit more complex, but you can also cause toxicity with them. So for small animals who are fed a high quality pellet, supplementation is not necessary unless a problem occurs (preferably only after consultation with a vet, because there may be something else going on). It is tricky, and every animal and species has different requirements and tolerances. It is my opinion that people over-supplement their pets with various multi-vitamins because they believe that it is "better to be safe" instead of truly understanding what their animal might need and why.

Anyway, that isn't really what this thread was about - sorry! The train just got a bit de-railed. I just meant to point out that unless something is wrong, normal bodily processes will not lead to toxicity, but over-supplementation (without veterinary guidance) can and will.

"I just meant to point out that unless something is wrong, normal bodily processes will not lead to toxicity, but over-supplementation (without veterinary guidance) can and will." --Inca-bink, you sure know a lot about your vitamins! It's great info to know - thanks for sharing :) !!!

I totally agree, and to tie back into the thread, a chin laying in the sun for brief periods of time will not lead to an overdose of vit. D. Nor is it an indication that the chin needs vit. D. I think chinnie is just enjoying the sun.

Back