Chins Kept in Same Room as Cat Litter Boxes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i<3chins

Hello! I have 2 chins and they are kept in the same room as my cat litter boxes are..The family won't let me move the chinchillas' cage anywhere else. The chinchillas don't have access to the boxes at all and are never in contact with the boxes. Could this do any harm. Thanks!

if a cat can reach the cage, outside it or not, they can do harm. A simple swat of the arm can cause a lot or problems under the right conditions.

Most anywhere I would put them though the cats would be able to reach them. I've never seen them eyeing the cage though. They mind their business.

My cats don't bother my chins at all, but I'm not sure about the litter box thing. Are you worried about the smell bothering them? You might have to scoop more frequently to help, if that's the issue :)

Oder is actually free molecules of something in the air. Although it is invisible, it is a physical thing, and most animals have far better noses than humans. In fact, scents and oders are very important. They know a big potentially dangerous animal is right outside the door. To me, this would make me feel perpetually traumatized. I would think that a litter box nearby might either bother them, or be an actual pollution problem that could cause a medical issue. Further, the purfumes and scents in some cat litter are also a pollution issue that might interfere with their breathing or quality of life. Since I would not place the bed of an infant human right next to a cat litter tray on the basis of the same potential health or quality of life issues, I would also not place the cage of an animal there. A cage forces them to be where they may not want to be. As the human, I am responsible that the cage, the surroundings, the furnishings are all sanitary, and good for my little pets.

um, you said your family won't let you move the chinchilla cage anywhere else. what about the litter box/-es? see if they'll allow you to move it/them to the bathroom. they're probably safest there, furthest away from the chins, and they won't be in anyone's way. :)

Thanks! I have a bigger, nicer chinchilla cage in my room that theyve never been in. I had used it for my 2 past chinchillas that passed away almost a year ago. I didn't move them into it because I was afraid that whatever killed my other 2 may hurt these. Is it possible that whatever hurt the others could still hurt them? And how can I properly disinfect the cage? Should I move them into it?

Thanks for the replies! There is one place I COULD move them which is in my room in a chinchilla cage that my other 2 chins used to live in. They passed away almost a year ago (of what I don't know). Is it possible that the thing that killed those 2 is still in the room? How do I disinfect the cage and what do I use? Should I move them into this cage?

Latest posts

Back