Chins don't use their house

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldritch

I have just got two female chinchillas and I've noticed that they don't really sleep or use a wooden box that I got for them. Instead, they sit on top of it and go to sleep. Is this a perfectly normal thing to do or are they trying to tell me they don't like it? I don't know whether I should be trying to change it in some way or just leaving it alone because they've found a spot that they're happy to sit in and keep retuning to.

Any advice would be great :)

Leave the cage arrangement alone. Changing it around just disturbs the settling in process. They feel safe right now on the highest shelf(natural prey animals). They will investigate more as they become more comfortable. Some chins never learn to like a house,hammock,etc. One of my guys would not use his hammock for several years. I was getting ready to remove it and he hopped in it and has used it since. Go figure???

I agree, just leave things as is for now, let them get use to things in the cage. Sleeping on top of the house is a good sign, it means they are comfortable enough to be sleeping out in the open rather then in hiding. Depending on room temp it may just feel too warm to cuddle in the house. I know for example even with the ac going all summer (so the temp stays around the same year round) they really don't use the hammocks until it's cooler temps outside.

Dandy%20Cage%20Update_01_zpsgnhircst.jpg

Lol godofgods I always laugh when I see that pic. I keep hearing "I fits!" In an Alvin the chipmunk voice in my head.

Latest posts

Back