Chins and Rabbits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kippystarz

I rescued a bunny from a pet store recently (poor boy had just been dropped off) and I had some questions about feed. Right now he's eating the crap they guy at the pet store was the best. I knew I shouldn't listen to him but I went along figuring I would do some research and just order the good stuff online.

So here's the question. Since I know a lot of people on here feed their chins high quality rabbit food, do you think it would be safe and/or wise to feed my new bunny Tradition?

I've tried looking at the nutriotional analysis charts, but they just don't make sense to me...

If not, what are people's opinions of switching my chins from Tradition to PANR?

I switched my girls from Tradition to PANR and the girls love it and are doing really well on it :). I don't know about putting the rabbit on Tradition, hopefully someone else can answer that for you :). Congrats on the bun!

If the bunny is over 8 months-1 year it should not have an alfalfa based pellet. Bunnies that are older should have a timothy hay based pellet. My bunny is on Oxbow Bunny T Basics and is doing great on it.

I'm not sure of the ingredients of tradition or PANR.

When we had our bunny and the chins they all got feed Manna Pro and everyone did fine on it.

My bun is on Nutrena, just like the chins, and it's alfalfa based. Fudge is.....5 or 6 now? Still going strong. :)

Do they play hockey with their round poo's as the chins do? Betcha they get further!

If the bunny is over 8 months-1 year it should not have an alfalfa based pellet. Bunnies that are older should have a timothy hay based pellet.

Really? Wow. I guess I'd better switch my 9 and 10 year old rabbits off the Purina that they've been fed their whole lives then! Who knew it's actually a *bad* feed, despite all evidence to the contrary!

As for the House Rabbit Society: while they have been helpful in educating the public as to the suitability of rabbits as pets, they also have some just plain bad ideas about rabbit care. One example that I can think of right off the bat is that they have, in the past, endorsed housing rabbits and cavies together, which is actually a very dangerous idea for both animals. They are an organization which labels all breeders as "bad", and are thus inclined to disagree with methods of feeding (pellets and hay only) and housing (wire-floored cages, animals housed individually, sometimes outdoors) that breeders and rabbit fanciers are often known to use. The truth is that rabbits can and will do just fine on a pellets-and-hay-only diet, and are less inclined to health problems such as bloat and diarrhea on such a diet.

My rabbit doesn't like fresh vegetables, in fact he doesn't seem to like any kind of treat, so he gets pellts and hay only, he's doing just fine,kishi is the same way, i have yet to find a treat that she doesn't just throw down and ignore.

The problem with Alfalfa in older rabbits is that it can cause kidney problems due to the high calcium content. Some rabbits, not all, have a lot of problems with an Alfalfa based pellet. Some get pee that looks like sludge and can get kidney stones.

I had 2 bunnies that were like this so I did a lot of research and found that they did much better on a Timothy Hay pellet. I know lots of people give alfalfa based pellets and have no problems.

I just personally stick with a Timonty Hay pellet after going through problems related to Alfalfa.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Tradition a timothy based pellet? If so, I would think that it might be okay for a rabbit.

Does anyone feed their rabbit PARN? I have 4 chins and a rabbit and can buy PARN cheaper so was thinking about switching them both over to it...

Not to steal the thread just looking for ideas :winkers:

Back