Chins and Plastic Cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Walker

Cincillà italiano!
So, a good amount of the members on this website, will generally use a metal cage like a Ferret Nation, Critter Nation or even custom built wooden ones. There is a good reason for that.

While I was waiting for Neve's Ferret Nation to arrive, the little girl found out she is the destroyer of worlds when it comes to plastic. She's inside of her FN and happy as can be today, so I decided to take pictures of the absolute mess she made of her old cage, in 6 days...

She would find the little clip holes that the wire would go into and start there. I had to patch this cage together over the week old cd cases and duct tape on the outside, so she couldn't get her teeth around an opening, praying my cage would get here early.

Note, if these blocks weren't there she could just walk right out of the cage. There were purple shavings everywhere.

This is a great reason to really invest on a chin safe cage. She's 100% fine, pooping up a storm and eating great, but obviously I am going to clean her new cage every night to monitor every day.

Replace the plastic base on the FN's, I guarentee you if I didn't have a pan from bassequiptment.com she would have torn through that as well...This is moreso just hopefully some newer owners can see why we recommend the different cages that we do, it's all about the safety of your amazing little animal.

PS: Neve is super pissed she can't bite through the Ferret Nation.:dance3:

IMG00904-20110120-1506.jpg

IMG00903-20110120-1506.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, my chin has taken to eating that cage base as well. Not even remotely near as bad as Neve did, she's a trouble maker, heh. And the bad thing is that there's really no easy way to fix it. If you put fleece over the cage, you'd have to cut holes where the bottom wire clips onto the edge of the base or else you can't really connect the cage together and then they's just chew the plastic through the holes. They'd chew through wood boards if you got some and bolted them onto the edges of the cage as well.

I ordered a small FN and a bass pan since the cage you have is Chloe's temp cage...I'm waiting for it too. I'm glad Neve didn't get sick from the plastic!!

Yes and to anyone who is looking to buy a plastic cage since they can be cheaper, don't do it. Sure, maybe your chin will be weird and not chew it but there's a good chance it will chew it and you'll have to buy a better cage, along with possibly paying for vet bills or worse case scenario have your chin die. Might as well buy that cage now and save some money in the long run. I know how tempting saving money is, but you really are better off making a big investment right off the bat.

She did that in 6 days??? Wow, she's a determined little bugger!! I had plastic cages just for a few weeks before I switched to Ferret Nations. Mine never chewed, but I switched anyway. I love knowing I don't have to worry about plastic impaction, and I have cages that will last for years!

Quite a busy girl! I feel your pain. One of my daughters gerbils throws her aluminum food bowl around and it bangs the aquarium glass. So I bought her a new little plastic bowl. She killed it in two days.

Now I do have a spare cage with that type bottom. However it has survived a few chins. Your chin and my gerbil must be related. Hee Hee

I used to have a cage with a plastic bottom. I used it for transportation and while cleaning cages. One day, I put Pebbles and Bamm Bamm in it while I cleaned their cage. I took their cage outside to wash it down. When I returned fifteen minutes later, they had chewed a 3 inch hole in the side of the plastic and had escaped. Good thing I had closed the door to the room.

wow, Red Green would be impressed with all the duct-tape!

Neve really was a busy girl! Maybe she liked the power of destruction, you'll have to find something else for her to destroy now, lol.

This is scary stuff. Our cage has a lot of plastic, but the Chins have not even noticed it yet. Key word here is YET. :hmmm:

Back