Chins and Earthquakes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin2heart

Just curious regarding Tuesday's east coast rumbler. Did anyone notice their chins acting unsettled or restless or different before the quake? My partner's niece, who lives outside D.C., said her Boxer was behaving very erratically all day before the quake and was fine afterwards. Do other animals besides dogs and cats sense things beforehand?

It depends on the animal, I think. I've had cats who went haywire before and earthquake, others just didn't care. Same with dogs. I've noticed birds taking off out of their perches before earthquake as well. I'm not sure about chins though...Sprocket hasn't experienced an earthquake before.

My herd has been through several earthquakes. They don't react to it or care. I usually check on them after a quake only to find them sleeping in their cages and upset that I had the nerve to wake them all up.

My herd has been through several earthquakes. They don't react to it or care. I usually check on them after a quake only to find them sleeping in their cages and upset that I had the nerve to wake them all up.

Same thing happens here. Shelly could have cared less during the last quake. Then again, I could have cared less too. I feel that your animals reaction is a reflection of yours. My dog and I both slept through the Northridge quake.

Trixie responds to sudden noises..like a big thunder clap or something...but I have never seen her respond much before a weather event. We were not at home before the earthquake..so I am not sure how she reacted.

They are true California Chinchillas - what's it's not "the big one"? Then why are you bothering us!

Mine were asleep, or trying to be asleep, when it hit here. Most of them either sleept through it or didnt react. However my one chin that was awake, paniced a bit and bolted straight up to her hut.

A couple years ago we had a pretty big earthquake with the epicenter not far from where I lived. My chins couldn't have cared less.

I won a chin at Nationals last year from the Hatfields. She was here for about 3 days before we had a big earthquake she did not eat well for 2 days. I was worried because she was so scared.

My other chins they don't care since some of them run on their wheels so fast it feels like an earthquake.

My chins could care less about them. I did, however, have a couple of dogs that moved here with us from Colorado. They would bark for about 15 minutes before a quake and then stop and go to sleep after it was over.

One of the theories about why dogs and cats freak a bit before an earthquake involves possibly supersonic vibrations that may precede the tremor that they can hear, but we cannot.

My cat and my chinchillas were very disturbed by the earthquake and I live in Wisconsin. I was in my room reading and at 10:30am my cat started "crying" and scratching at the bed. He was very unsettled and I couldn't figure out why. A little while after that most of my chinchillas woke up and started jumping frantically around their cage. While this is nothing new for Mick St. John who is usually a jerk and does this often it was quite odd that it was at 11am when they are all normally sleeping. Of 11 pets in the home only 3 of them were unaffected by the earthquake. I absolutely believe my cat, Baxter, was trying to get me out of bed and to safety.

Latest posts

Back