Chins and dogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelywhiskers

Chinchillas were my first pet when I moved out to live with my husband. I've always had a pet dog (labs,golden retrievers, and german shepherds - I used to train guide dogs) and I been wanting to get another pet dog sometime soon. We both currently live in a flat, so looking for a small type - Medium dog good for flats. I've had some in mind, but of course they turn out to be hunters of small animals like most small dogs.

Okay so I was basically wondering if anyone here does have a small dog that has chinchillas too? And does the instinct of a dog take over even if introduced as a puppy to the chinchillas? Anyone had any experience with a small dog trying to bite them through the cage?

Let me know what your experiences are.

i personally wouldnt let dogs near my chins. Dogs, no matter the breed or training, are predators, and chins prey animals. And it only takes one incident or one swipe of a paw for things to get very very bad for the chin. Same for cats and chins. Its a risk i dont think is worth it.

Do not let the dog near the chinchilla. Chinchillas are prey animals and any dog will scare them or worse kill them. If you do not have a room you can gate off purchase an ex-pen large enough to put a 1' barrier or larger around the chinchilla cage. Also do not open the cage with the dog loose. Always make sure the dog is in another room or the bathroom to avoid the dog coming in contact with your chinchilla.

I run a happy zoo with cats, dogs, fish, and of course a pair of chinchillas. They live in harmony because there isn't a chance for them to hurt eachother.

Thanks for replies. I know I previously used to live with a cat before I moved out the chins used to get aggressive when seeing it in the same room with them. The girls would scratch outside the cage. The boys would be a little aggressive but not as much. Once cat was gone they would quiet down. I personally think they were interested in knowing what a cat was. Because they would go to bottom floor and go up to him. We just never let the cat in much incase something did happen. I think all it needs is them getting used to each other. But putting barriers up isn't a bad idea either I can think of that.

Yeah I know. There is always one to muddy the waters. And that would be me. I have to say I think this as with a lot of things when it comes to Chins needs to be on a case by case basis. I have 3 Pomeranians and two Chins. I let the chins out every night and the nightly ritual for the chin and the Poms is to all sit side by side as I one by one feed them cheerios. When I let my Chins out the Poms are all in the room at the same time. Not one time ever in the 3 years I have had my Chins has there ever even been a hint of fear shown by the chins whatsoever, and not one time have the Poms ever show a bit of interest in pursuing the chins in any way. And before anyone tells me what a horrible chin owner I am which I have been accused of before because I won't have a "chinsitter" when I leave for a weekend, my chins are loved, spoiled, get lots of exercise and don't want for anything. Here is a link to a short video from a couple years ago. Two Poms are not in this video as they have a doggie door and before I gated of my chin area they went outside. But you get the point.

https://youtu.be/z40rUaPia-A

I'll muddy them too. Our Vizsla loves our chinchillas and vice versa. Visits are always supervised and are very few and far between due to busyness, but they do love each others' company. I don't think I would allow the chins around our two small dogs, though---they are more apt to chase them than Bella (who pretty much just sits still and lets them crawl all over her--btw, "don't try this at home", not all dogs are this chill). I know some will disagree, but I'm a case by case person too, and on our farm we encourage as many of our animals to get along as is safe to do so.

While you can do whatever you want with your pets know that on top of the obvious (a misplaced paw, an accidental nip, ect) there is also the risk of your chinchilla getting sick from something another pet has (especially dogs who walk around outside and roll in who knows what). I caution everyone to think twice about letting your chinchillas play with cats or dogs, but as I said no one can stop you from doing something you've already decided is fine. I'll continue to be cautious and make sure my chinchillas live the safest way possible and I will continue to let people know it is a bad idea.

While you can do whatever you want with your pets know that on top of the obvious (a misplaced paw, an accidental nip, ect) there is also the risk of your chinchilla getting sick from something another pet has (especially dogs who walk around outside and roll in who knows what). I caution everyone to think twice about letting your chinchillas play with cats or dogs, but as I said no one can stop you from doing something you've already decided is fine. I'll continue to be cautious and make sure my chinchillas live the safest way possible and I will continue to let people know it is a bad idea.

^^^^

but as I said no one can stop you from doing something you've already decided is fine.

Lovely Whiskers asked for opinions. We all gave ours. Its no less valid than yours simply because you don't agree with it.

Fact, most breeds of dogs were bred to hunt, especially the small ones who were bred to ratters. It takes only a split second for instinct to take over with even the most gentle of dogs or cats and the chin is history. why risk it. I have dogs and cats and I would never let them play with the chinchillas. All 4 are well trained and loving animals, but you cannot train out instinct completely.

Also, are you aware that parvo can live in the soil. You dogs can walk through a contaminated area and not become ill becasue they have had their shots. Chins do not get shots so they can pick up the parvo from the dog.

I tell all my customers not to let the chins play with their other animals. It is just not worth the risk. Quite often we see people tell stories simialr to the op's and later we hear that the chinchilla got hurt by the other animal and they still insist it's safe.

For those if you who think it's ok, look in the Emergency section and read the thread titled "I Think My Cat Scratched My Chin"

Back