Chins and dog?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have two Daschund dogs and once when one of our chins escaped ( due to me leaving the cage door open while feeding her ) that natural prey instinct kicked in and they chased Herby into the hallway. Luckily, Herby and her instinct to survive kicked in and she sprayed them both, and they ran. It was only a few seconds that she was out but I shudder to think what may have happened had I not been able to catch her as quick as I did. This is why during feeding, play time, cage cleaning, and if I have to leave the house for any reason, the dogs are locked up in a kennel, ( or I take them with me ) in another room with a locked door. I also have the chins cages on tables, so the dogs can not get near the cages when I am home and I am hyper vigilant even then.

If you're worried, keep the cage where the dog can't get to it - it's as simple as that. We have three indoor cats and an indoor dog, and the chinchillas are completely the bosses of them! However, not every animal is that way. If you have any doubts, do yourself a favor and just remove the risk by keeping the chins away from the dog. No matter how nice an animal may be to you, it's hard for them to resist the predator instinct when there is a prey animal involved!

my dogs and cats are afraid of my chins, lol. i have a 65lb pit bull mix and she won't go near the cage for any reason, and if i get one of my chins out she runs into another room and hides, lol

My chinchilla will try to attack my dog through the cage bars if he gets too close. The chinchilla will make grunting noises and lunge at the dog. My dog avoids being anywhere near the cage now as he is terrified of Pogo. There was one time where I made the mistake of letting the chinchilla out not knowing the dog was in the room underneath the bed. Pogo chased him out from under that bed so fast and Fidget just came running to me with the chin right behind him. I'm so glad my dog didn't do anything to fight back, as even a small dog like him could kill a chinchilla. He knows that the chin is boss in that room.

I have a 90lb. Lab/boxer. She is in love with one of my chins. She likes both males, but she in literally in love with Pepper(avatar pic). She licks him though the bars, and he "cleans" her nose.

I wasnt too worried when i got the chins, because when I had rats, she used to let them ride on her back. This actually happened by accident when one on them jumped off the ledge of the bathtub onto her back(they lived in the bathtub). For 4 years the rat and the dog were inseperable.

If Pepper would stay and not jump around I am sure she would let him ride her too. She is very protective of the chins. I dog sat a german shorthair who lives with a bird and plays with the bird. He had no intrest in the chins, plus he is 12. He just went into the chin room and she beared her teeth at him and growled. When we have playtime she *has* to be there to watch. Sometimes they chase eachother, yes Pepper the chin, will chase Lili the dog. It is so funny to watch.

The only problem I ever had was Lili tried to carry Leo when he was little(10wks or so?). She very gently tried to pick him up in her mouth like a puppy. I said drop it, and she set him down and has never done it again.

I think it is all in your dogs personality, how you raise them and train them. Lili is a certified therapy dog, and pepper is now certified to go with her. The do humane education classes, nursing home visits, read to me program and adopt a shelter pet days.

I would not allow the dog to lick the chin, dogs can carry pasteurella silently and that is deadly to chins. Animals are animals no matter how well they are trained and when they are allowed together accidents can happen.

Latest posts

Back