Chins and children

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I was wondering about the best way to let children interact with chins. My brother's family came over today. My nieces are 2 and 12, and my nephews are 7 and 4. My nieces love my chins. My oldest niece who is 12 is the only one I will let hold any of my chins. She knows how to hold them and is gentle. Even then the only chin I let her hold is my baby girl Marika. Marika will sit in her lap and chill out. Everyone else is hyper and wouldn't dream of holding still. My niece sits on the floor when holding my chin.

I let my two year old niece pet Marika's head. She knows to be gentle. Although with her my chins are most often called "bunnies". :p She is not rough with her at all, and giggles all the time when Marika sniffs her and tickles her with her whiskers.

The boys are a bit more rough, so they are most often not allowed to pet her.

I was just wondering if anyone had any additional advice?

When my neighbor's grandkids wanted to come see Trixie I invited them over and observed them interacting with her first. I reminded them of "indoor voices" and showed them how to skritch her chin first. I let the oldest (about 12) hold her once Trixie was used to them. I was a bit uneasy about the younger boy (about 7) holding her, so I let him skritch her ears, and then let him give her a rosehip after she went back into her cage. That seemed to satisfy the boy..as he got to do something special with Trixie.

I say, know the children first...know their personalities...how they act around animals. Do they have respect for the animals? your rules? Go from there.

I have two toddlers, I cannot imagine not having them interact with my chinchillas. There are however, RULES, and I know my kids. They love animals, they never mistreat them...they're very delicate with them. That said, at 3 & 4 years old they still do not HOLD the chins. They pet them, the give them "treats" (apple sticks)...they set on the floor and let the chins climb on them. That sort of thing. They even name a few (lets see, we've got Fatty, Blackie, and Whitey so far).

Just be very familiar with the children...and also, the personality of the chin in question. Sounds like you already knew that though ;) I get not adopting chins out to families you don't know that have children...because not all children/parents care enough to do things right. But if you know the children well enough, it can be a safe and enjoyable experience for the children AND the chins!

I have 24 chins and a 4 year old. Out of these 24 he has "his" chin "Heartbreaker" that only on supervised occasions is he allowed to hold. My chins are all kept in the basement where he does not have access to them. Let's face it he is 4 and he thinks he is a Power Ranger so me personally I don't want him to be denied the chance to play and just be a silly kid and I don't want the chins upset either so at least here I don't like much interaction between my son and the chins. As time goes on however I do hope that he becomes more involved with them as he matures.

My niece is 4 1/2. She is allowed to pet and give treats, no more. When we have play time she gets to sit on a chair or on the toilet seat, mostly because I don't want her to move too fast if one of the chins jumps on her. I'm more concerned over my chins' health that her feelings. Hehe

My kids, ages 11 and 14, have been around chins for 8 years now and with guidance, they are now expert chinchilla handlers.

Just to add some info here - if there is any inkling as to one of them having the sniffles/cold, etc. they know not to go near any of the chins including giving them a treat.

I'd like to add using a playpen. When my chins visit with children I set up an enclosed pen. It limits both the chin and the child's movements and keeps the chin from escaping to hide under furniture. The limited space maximizes chin/child contact by making the child the object to run and jump on. Kids seem to love that a chin will voluntarily jump into their lap even if it doesn't want to be cuddled. Because everyone must sit to fit in the pen, and there's a closed roof on it, shoulders become an acceptable place to be as well. The limited space also makes it easier to gauge when the chin has had enough and keeps any mess contained. My chins and I travel to my niece and nephew, rather than them coming to us, and I have to respect that not everyone tolerates poo on their floor. So far it's been a good experience.

my kiddo is going to be 8 years old in a couple days and we've had one chin since last February, the other since end of summer. she is not allowed to hold them, but is always allowed to visit the chins in their room with me (or at times when she is very calm i will let her go in and say hello to them, but she just goes up to the cage and talks to them if i'm not there). she gives treats and scritches through the cage bars like a pro :)) during playtime, she knows to sit still on the floor so they will come up to her, and the first rule i ever taught my kiddo was the chinnie shuffle!

the best part is - whenever we go into a pet store or see an ad online for a chin + supplies, she's quicker than me to point out what isn't chin friendly. 'mommy, that cage is made from plastic, it isn't safe for chins!' <-- exact quote from the other day, lol.

Latest posts

Back