Chins and Cats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use the search function and do some reading. This question has been asked and answered SO many times. If you do some reading you'll get a very clear picture on what people feel about this issue.

chins and cats

Not a good idea at all... Cats are predatory and Chins are prey...I had a cat scratch a chin and my chin died within 24 hours of the attack...My cat got out and into where I had her..if you have a cat keep it away from your chins..cats carry many diseases that can make your chin ill....Like Tunes said read the forums..you can do a search and see all the posts regaurding this issue..

Lost of chins here have been killed or maimed by cats, even recently so why on earth does anyone take a chance is beyond me. Keep cats away from chins, its pretty simple.

I lost one of my best babies to a cat a couple years back. The cat managed to undo the latch on the pan, pull out the pan, then reach in and pull out the baby to kill it.

I still have cats and chinchillas, I just have the chinchillas in a separate room and the cats are locked up at night when the door to the chin room is open for air flow and I cannot watch the cats. My fiance checks for escapees when he gets up in the morning because he's up before me and I let the cats out when I get up. I would never risk a cat being allowed in the same room as a chinchilla regularly though I do know of ranchers and breeders that did/do to catch the mice and never had a problem.

This question has been asked a zillion times--the answer is simple if you are a responsible owner then you should be able to keep anything from happening but this is never a 100 percent guarantee so you need to be prepared to suffer any consequence that might occur. People do have other pets with chins--dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets and even birds. The bottom line is animals should never, EVER be left alone or unattended with each other.

I have a cat, but I keep her separated from the chins. she's far too interested.

I had a cat attack and kill a mom and left me with 2 kits that were suprises! I do have 2 cats and 4 chins, but they never come in contact. I think you can have the both as pets as long as they stay seprated.

Latest posts

Back