Chins and Altitude

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleyr1293

I know chins originated from the Andes Mountains in South America so typically they would be adjusted to the altitude but I have some questions about chins raised on farms and traveling to altitude. Ill be moving to the mountains about 9,100 ft during the holidays (about a month or so) and I was curious as to if any of you know if my chin, Kesey, will be okay? Because I purchased him at Petsmart and I'm assuming he was raised on a farm, do you think he will be okay when adjusting to the altitude?

On a separate note, any idea how old the typical chin age is that Petsmart carries? When I called to ask how old Kesey was, they said they would have no way of finding out...

Thanks for yalls help!

i have no idea about the altitude, but generally the chins at my local petsmart are only a few months old. maybe 3-6? You cant say exactly but they are all pretty small so that would be my guess.

when i bought my chin from petsmart they told me he is about 3 month old if you have the paperwork when u bought yours maybe they could find out for you

when i bought my chin from petsmart they told me he is about 3 month old if you have the paperwork when u bought yours maybe they could find out for you

Petsmart is not given a birth date for any of their small animals. If they tell you an age they are merely guessing. The "paperwork" they would have would just list the number of animals that came in on that shipment. The only detailed paper work they get is in their larger birds such as the conures that require registration. There is no way to tell the accurate age of a chin without a known birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added note on altitude - all animals along with people need to adjust to altitude (no matter where they orginated). The "preference" for animals is to keep them contained to a small cage (if possible) for 24hrs (or their full size cage in a room with the door shut and no excitement, i.e. remove wheels, etc) after arriving as its exertion that causes problems.

Back