Chinnies waking up and getting active at 3am!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desyuu

I have two chinnies and almost everyday they seem to finally "get up" and start being their silly active selves around 2-3am! When i would go play with them at 7-8pm ish they would usually still be sleeping giving me their stinkeye:wacko:

I would have to go into the cage and take them out for playtime whereas at 3am they would literally be jumping out of the cage the second i open it...well, obviously being nocturnal furballs i know that its normal for them to be awake at night but i would think that they would adapt to having playtime at 8pm! Sometimes it feels like they would rather sleep more than to play!

Is it normal for them to choose sleep over play? Would they ever adapt to the times?? Or dobthey just want all the sleep they can get?:hmm:

Some days my chins will sleep a few hours later then usual. They can adapet tho, it depends on the stimuli. For mine, another wakes up around 4-5 pm, its also when i feed them, so they will start waking up around that time as well. Tho sometimes they say to **** with it and stay asleep.

They also no that when he get homes from work in the early morning, they get their wood treats. So they make sure to stay awake for that.
sleep.. treat...sleep...treat... TREAT!!! gimmie gimmie gimmie!!!! lol no way they goign to miss an opertunity at a treat!!

i've gotten Rhino used to coming out around this time in the morning (9/10 am). it's much easier for me to do cage cleaning and play time when i get back from dropping my daughter off at school, and the house is calm and i have a lot of flex in my schedule at that time. it took him about a week to get used to being perky in the morning like that. now when i go in my bedroom in the morning, he usually hops right onto the shelf nearest his upper cage door and gives me that beseeching 'oh mommy, let me out of jail now!' look, lol!

he is active in his cage at night as well, and some evenings he does come out for another short romp around, but not every night. i tend to sleep on the couch most nights, so any noise he makes in his cage in my bedroom doesn't bother me one bit. the odd night i do sleep in my bed, which is less than a foot from his cage, i never wake up due to his nocturnal antics. that might change once i get him a wheel though, lol.

most evenings, Rhino is up and about around suppertime, and i hear him jumping around quite a bit by 9/10 pm too. i know which nights he's been awake longer, as there is more 'killing of the hanging toys', lol, by morning after those nights.

Last edited:
Chinchillas are actually crepuscular, meaning they're most active during the early mornings and evenings. But I guess it can be different for our domestic chins. They are pretty adaptable when it comes to our schedules, though - I think they're good at getting used to a routine. =) Maybe you could try to usher them out during the evenings when you want to give them play time even if they are sleepy so they won't be super hyper during the night.

I've never been woken up by Fuzz in the middle of the night, but usually when I stay up super late he'll be resting because he's been out and about earlier that night.

Latest posts

Back