chinnie weight?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLostLena

Hey guys, dunno if I'm posting in the right place sorry if not
Just a curious question!
What is the average weight for a male chinchilla?
My lad is a year next week and I'm just curious as everywhere seems different weights, thought I'd come and ask the ChinMommas! :)

It varies from chin to chin, it's kind of like asking what the average weight of a human is. Chins come in all sizes from as little as 400g to over 1,000g. Your best best to judge if he is underweight or over weight is to feel him, you should be able to feel the bones under a thin layer of fat and muscle, if it feels like petting a skeleton then he's too thin, if he feels like a marshmallow and/or has fat rolls then too fat. On a proper pellet and hay diet it's rare for them to be fat.

What kind of food and hay do you use? I like to keep alfalfa hay and regular hay for chins less than 1. Might be he needs just a little extra to put him at a proper weight for him.

Each chinchilla is different. Any where from 400 on up can be normal. If he doesnt feel boney, is eating/drinking/pooping well and isnt loosing weight I wouldnt worry.

Back