Chinnie Chin Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18287

Meet Fern! She is curious about the camera, but not quite enough to strike a pose. ;) As you can see, she has a black goatee! She is a little self-conscious about it, but we think it makes her look fearless! Poor thing, her cage is not very homey at present, but she is currently being treated for ringworm. :(

fern1.png

fern2.png

fern3.png

She is cute. Just a word of caution though, that cage looks to have a wood frame, meaning you need a new cage. With ringworm you need to get rid of ALL the wood that includes every piece not just toys and ledges but the cage frame too or you will never be able to fully get rid of the ringworm, and it will keep coming back.

Also those wood cages are not really advised anyway, they are often painted and some even treated to be waterproof (which can be toxic or make them sick if ingested) so unless you made that cage yourself and used food coloring not paint there is a good chance if the chin chews on it it could make him sick or even die.

Thank you. That is very helpful information! I worried about the wood, but didn’t give the rest a thought. 🥺 We had already discussed replacing it with the critter nation cage I’d seen in so many videos. I’m discussing it with hubby today! Many thanks!

I'm late to see this, but you can also put the cage in the hot sun and let it bake. The sun will kill the ringworm. When I had it with a chin, I dipped all of their wood in diluted bleach water and set it in the sun for a couple of days and they were able to use it again. If it was just a wood house, you could bake it to kill the fungus, but obviously that won't work for a cage!

Hey there! Thanks, Actually I did just that, however we are getting rid of it anyway. It’ll be thoroughly cleaned and sun’d before further use by another family member.

Fern is now residing in a comfy critter nation cage. I’ve even taken up sewing and made no-pill fleece covers, pillows and hammocks for her. Which are changed out and cleaned every 24 to 36 hours, and surfaces wiped with 50/50 white vinegar and water. She gets new apple sticks daily, and old removed.The second week of August, we should be able to add ledges and toys back!

She is also healing well! Toes are better, fur is almost grown back fully. She’s thriving.

Thanks to all for the great advice and support. ☺️

Edits: Adding some new pics of Fern

fern4.png

fern5.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back