Chinnie biting the metal rails

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meemxes

Every day I take my chins out for at least 30 minutes so they can run around and have exercise time. As soon as 4am hits they're always biting on their cage. What does this mean? Why do chinchillas like to bite the cage rails?

Does it calm down after a while? i dont think its anything to worry about.,mine do this and i let mine out for over an hour every night.

mine does this EVERY NIGHT. hahah i think he does it to get attention/when hes bored. he has tonnes of things in his cage to chew on, and i hate when he chews his cage because 1) its so noisy, and 2) i feel like it would hurt so much! lol!

My rabbits do this non-stop when they want attention or, in the morning, food. My chins just put their mouth over the bars to get their noses scritched. Zipper bites the bars every once in a while for attention. The youngin chins, Ezio and Altair, haven't bit bars yet; and let's hope they don't start!

I think it's because they want out to play more :) My Millie used to do this for the first several weeks when I used to let her play for about 30 minutes. She is in a one level cage right now ( at least till I move to another state and then once moved I will set up the FN 142:) and I think she gets bored even though she has a wheel and chew toys. So I started having a longer playtime with her and she eventually stopped cage biting probably a week after her longer playtimes. I don't think she was getting enough playtime/stimulation so she would cage bite IMPO.

Back