chinchucks........

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

my chin is a chinchuck because she is a willow stick maniac!!! she chibbles TONS of sticks all on one corner of the cage only this takes about an hour that is all wood no shavings, I clean 2-3 times the outside where she throws chips she throws the chibbles out of the corner of the cage, always same spot I was wondering since they chew sooo much wood do they get splinters in there mouth ? Im a worrier so I make myself nuts...and do they actually eat the wood or just chibble it apart?

chinchucks chibble wood all day long lol how much wood would a chinchuck chuck if a chinchuck could could chuck wood "????

IMG-20120716-00451.jpg

Good question, I was wondering about something similar regarding bamboo and whether it would cut their mouths if it splinters.

YES! They can get splinters. My worst bite(through my fingernail plus) was from Piglet when he got a splinter stuck in his front teeth from a popsicle stick toy.I had to burrito him use a bigger piece of poplar dowel to keep his mouth open and used a pair of hemostats to remove the splinter.Learned two lessons on that one-never give popsicle sticks to my boys(they are just too beaver like) and never trust my husband to do the holding when I'm vetting a pet!LOL that's how I got bitten-hubby let go !

Yikes! I'm unsure of my hubby's holding skills as well. I'd probably ask him to in that situation as well, but suspect he'd let go also.

That pic looks like the mess my Miesha leaves behind. He's a peeler. He bites into the wood and then pulls. If he likes the taste and texture, he eats what he pulls off. Sometimes he'll peel the stick and then nibble the layer beneath. Most of the time he just makes a mess. He loves magnolia and dogwood and will eat the bark he pulls off those sticks.

I agree with the use of Popsicle sticks I steer clear only because they seem to splinter a lot very sharp I cant imagine trying to get a stuck piece of wood out of a chins mouth my girl don't seem to like being held when trying to look or peek at her for anything...
it seems like the bark is chewed off of the apple sticks ( those dont get chibbled as much) the thin willow gets demolished....and the thicker willow gets broken up and then demolished Im going to try some new safe woods and see how my chinchuck likes them too I give unlimited sticks still I am shocked at how much chippings she produces...

Latest posts

Back