Chinchillas prefer being in their cage?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

I recently upgraded my two chinnie's home to a cage literally twice the size, with lots of toys, shelves and space to leap around.

Previously they couldn't wait to get out their cage and would never go back in when their play time was up.. Now that I have upgraded their home they never want to leave it and when they do come out they only stay out for around 45 minutes before they go back home. Should I be concerned or do they just prefer their awesome new home?

I think its a good thing. My chin is the same way she will come out for 20-30 minutes and then go back in the cage, its her home and she seems happiest there.

My chins LOVE their cage. It is huge and lots of stuff for them to hide in and chew on. They also LOVE playtime and that happens every evening. They both come out for 30-45 minutes have a ball running and bouncing around and when they get tired they go back in their cage on their own. All I have to do is close the door. In your case I would say they like their new home :)

my chin loves his cage... but he also likes playtime. He does the same thing where after a while he goes back in himself after a while, but if I dont close his cage up he likes to double check there's still a way out to play time. I'll sit on the floor and read and he'll come check if he's allowed to eat my book yet and then go hop back in. My dog and my boyfriend's cat do the same thing with front doors. Like I'm done with outside playtime there but I want to have the option of going out if I want it. Mouthy, his kitty, doesn't have her own kitty door there so she has days where she wants let in and out every five minutes. (Us silly people don't leave it wide open so she cant just sit half in and half out)

Gizmo does the exact same thing; he'll run about for 45 minutes, jump back in for a quick drink & power nap, then comes out for a 10-15 minute encore before jumping back in to snooze for an hour lol. But then we have Mojo, will always beg to be let out, even if it's only to sit on my shoulder; he once sat on my shoulder for half an hour without trying to explore further, simply hopped up & sat down, content just being somewhere new. He popcorns around his cage all night long, so I know he loves it- he just prefers to be outside if given the opportunity. Every chin is different, but I would take it as a good thing that your chin is comfortable in his home

Every chilla is different and as my vet told me...Let the chinchilla decide what it wants; it knows what it is most comfortable with.

Back