chinchillas health

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeonNephilim

I just got my chinchilla (Luka) 1 week ago and he was fine till about day before yesterday, when I noticed his poop was kinda soft and clumping...last night after I cleaned up his cage, I've noticed there isnt a ton of poop like use to be-I'm also worried of the sneezing i hear him do :/

I still have a week to take him back, but i dont know if he'll see a vet, like I know he should be seeing.:cry3:

(took out his pellets last night) would giving his oxbow hay help at all? he eating zupreem at the moment till he finishes up whats left. then was gonna change to oxbow. He also gots a timothy hay cube in his cage.

Go ahead and give him the Oxbow hay. It's a better quality most times than Zupreem. I am concerned that he isn't pooping a lot. First it was squishy, now it's absent. You also mentioned he's sneezing. I think you need to get him into a vet as soon as you can. While chins sometimes can be stressed moving to a new home, they don't generally display the different symptoms you are describing. They might have loose poo for a day, OR be a bit constipated but they don't generally go from one to another.

I would not return him to the store - I would find a vet and have him looked at. Not the store vet, a real vet. It could be he just needs a little settling in time, or it could be that he's developed a bit of an upper respiratory infection. The pooping issues may be something that can be handled easily too, but not if you wait forever to get on it. He needs to see a vet now so he can receive the proper care in a timely manner. Taking him back to a pet store isn't the answer, getting him to a qualified vet is.

He cant see the vet till monday- so if it is a URI, I'm hoping it wont get to bad till he can see the vet. Is it possible something is bothering him i.e dust, hay? but still doesnt explain his poop :/

seems whenever a health problem happens; its the weekend!:banghead:

There should be emergency vets in your area. Have you checked the phone book? URI's are not something to wait around on. If that is the problem, he needs antibiotics right away. If his poops are loose, pull the pellets and give nothing but hay (which you said you did). If he has no poops, he could be in big trouble. That could be either stasis or bloat. That is something a vet needs to see right away so that you can get him on a drug regimen that will help him.

there is an ER, that I'm gonna take him too. they dont specialize in chinchillas, but something is better then nothing.

Latest posts

Back