Chinchillas Crabbing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshB.

Well, I have looked everywhere for this sound, but haven't found it. My chinchillas (or maybe only one of them) make a "crabbing" sound. I'm calling it crabbing, because I don't know what else to call it, and it sounds sort of like a sugar glider when it is mad (which is called crabbing). For those of you that have never heard an upset sugar glider (or never heard of a sugar glider at all), it sounds basically like a pencil sharpener. Anyway, my chinchillas usually make this sound in the middle of the night. They don't make it often, and when they wake me up with it and I turn on the light, they will just be sitting there like "what?". Can someone tell me what it is? By the way, I don't think it is an aggessive sound, because my two chinchillas seem to be very close and I have never seen any aggression. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

It sounds like it may be "barking" which is a warning or alarm call. They'll do this if they hear a noise they don't like or are unfamiliar with, if they are having a bad dream, etc. It's nothing to be alarmed about, it's perfectly normal. I'll try to find the link to the "chinchilla sounds" page.

ETA: Nevermind, Tiffany just gave it to you LOL.

I know exactly what you mean! I recently picked up 33 rescues that were living amongst 50 sugar gliders, and oddly enough, it seems that these rescues make that noise much more often than any of my chins. It is not on the list of sounds, but I do think it is a variation of barking. It seems to be a communication sound, or warning of some sort, but of course I am only guessing.

I know exactly what you mean! I recently picked up 33 rescues that were living amongst 50 sugar gliders, and oddly enough, it seems that these rescues make that noise much more often than any of my chins. It is not on the list of sounds, but I do think it is a variation of barking. It seems to be a communication sound, or warning of some sort, but of course I am only guessing.

Actually, now that I think about it, the chinchillas that I got were living amongst 10+ sugar gliders... do you think they could have picked the sound up from living with the gliders? That would be really interesting...

Actually, now that I think about it, the chinchillas that I got were living amongst 10+ sugar gliders... do you think they could have picked the sound up from living with the gliders? That would be really interesting...

I do think so. I have a chin that grew up around dogs (little ones) and always had playtime with them at his previous owner's house. He grew up around dogs, and I swear to you- he acts like a dog- hence the name Fido! He lifts his leg when he pees (no joke), he almost barks- he jumps up to a new chin like a dog does- and kind of "bullies" them the same way. It is pretty amazing actually. I really do think it proves a bit of the "nurture" part of the nature v. nurture argument.

I do think so. I have a chin that grew up around dogs (little ones) and always had playtime with them at his previous owner's house. He grew up around dogs, and I swear to you- he acts like a dog- hence the name Fido! He lifts his leg when he pees (no joke), he almost barks- he jumps up to a new chin like a dog does- and kind of "bullies" them the same way. It is pretty amazing actually. I really do think it proves a bit of the "nurture" part of the nature v. nurture argument.

Wow, that's really interesting. I wonder what they use the "crabbing" for though?

Back