Chinchillas- Best in pairs?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snapdragon

Hoglet
I was wondering if it's better to keep chinchillas in pairs or would they prefer to be alone? I know it's like this with many rats, rabbits & gerbils (not hedgies, though) and I've seen a lot of members with just one chinchilla. Thanks you! :cute:

It really depends on the chinchilla, each have their own personality. There personalities are really all over the map just like humans. Some chins prefer a friend(s) while others prefer to be alone, and everything in between. I've had some that like playtime with other chins, and/or live near other chins, but don't want to be housed with another. In the wild they live in herds, but then they are also able to get away from each other and pick who they want to live with. A single chin is perfectly fine alone so long as you give it attention every single day, like you would something like a parrot.

I've had three girls, and they all hated each other, thus shattering my dreams of a happy snuggly herd!
My three girls were all perfectly happy on their own... like what Amethyst said, it totally depends on each chin's own personality.

Like Amethyst said it depends on the chin. My chin apollo didnt really mind living alone but he was so much happier when I got Rocky.

My Chillem loves having Echo around, but not in the same cage. He loves talking and chatting with him and seeing what he's doing. Echo doesn't mind Chillem too much, but he ignores him most of the time. We tried pairing them for over a year, but they always wanted to fight. So we've kept them in separate cages right next to each other and they are both perfectly happy this way.

Back