Chinchilla's belly is a bottomless pit!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

One of my chinchillas all of a sudden has had a massive increase in appetite. He acts like he is starving and when I fill the food bowl he eats constantly until it is empty. He drinks fine, looks and acts healthy, and though I've never formally weighed him he's about the same he's always been. He's about 8 years old. As far as hay goes he will not eat Timothy (unless it is kaytee branded with marigolds, then he looves the flowers), alfalfa (food is alfalfa based), or orchard grass. I just bought botanical hay to try it out, and it looks like my only other choice would be oat hay. The brand for all have been Oxbow (except the kaytee but I only tried it once.) I rarely feed him treats, and when he does get one it's a single piece of oatmeal. I'm really just wondering if I should be worried, as I don't know what causes excessive hunger in animals. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I purchased 2 bv females at the ECBC Nationals March 3rd. I weighed both when we got home the smallest one has gained 67 grs since being here. They are both in breeding but she eats a lot too. They are on Purina Chow Show and timothy hay.

I guess it is better they are eating then not. Sorry I can't help you.

As long as the chinchilla is maintaining a good weight, not getting too fat or losing weight, I would let them eat as much as they want. If he begins to lose weight in spite of the increased appetite, I would have him checked. Of course, if he begins to get fat, you may need to limit the pellets. It could be that your current feed is really fresh and smells extra yummy or an ingredient in it was change and he likes it better now.

I'd try a different brand of hay, and leave it in the cage, you might see hi eat the pelets first but I bet he still snacks on the hay. Also check exp dates on petstore stuff, I just bought hay the other week and it expired a year ago. >_< Look for stuff that smells nice and has a long shelf life ahead of it.

Back