Chinchillas and Traveling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolealexis

I am considering getting a chinchilla, and I've done a bit of research, but there's one area that is specific to my life currently and I can't seem to find an answer. I tend to bounce around from different living arrangement. During the weekdays, I have a typical place to go to, which is the primary home for me and the potential chinchilla. But on Fridays and the weekends, I visit two separate places (divorced parents). I would by a collapsible cage with all the comforts of its normal, in addition to its stationary cage. But the real question is, would this be too much for a chinchilla. I would of course take it slow, but I'm wondering if the constant change would be too much for the chinchilla to handle, or would it ever get used to it?

-Any advise would be greatly appreciated

There was a time I used to go home most weekends when I was at school. I would put Chloe in her carrier, buckle her in the passenger's seat and drive the hour home, where he temp cage was. I basically ended up buying two of everything so I didn't have to pack all her stuff every weekend. She's fine with it. Never really had any problems. I know Dawn (ticklechin) on here brings (or at least used to) her whole chin crew with her to work everyday.

Of course, I'm sure the level of stress from traveling will vary from chin to chin, but I think it's doable. Just make sure both places are safe, and your car has reliable AC.

Mine go to work every day during the week, the go to a weekend home every weekend, so three sets of cages and they do fine. I have done this type of thing for over 10 years with a total of 19 chins with no problems with any of them, they do fine.

I just loaded all 8 of mine up last week when we went on vacation. I bring alone their hidey houses and fleece tubes for their "vacation cages" and they do just fine. I have one boy that tends to get a little stressed so I bring along some Rescue Remedy and dab it on his ears, along with lots of chewies.

Ranchers drive large quantities of chins back and forth to many shows all the time.

Going from one nice cage to the next should not be too stressful -- just make sure you take her specia/favoritel hidey house or tube with you each time. :thumbsup:

My chins have made the 6 1/2 hour trip to my sister's in Santa Fe many times and have done just fine. They usually sleep the entire time!!!

Thanks everyone! That makes me feel a lot better. I was also wondering about the bedding. The cage I have has a tray under it with a wire mesh work for the bottom. How exactly do I put the bedding down? Just on top of the wire so she doesn't hurt her feet? Or fill the tray up to the wiring?

And one last question, me and my significant other got into a disagreement about the particular type of bedding. I originally grabbed the aspen wood shavings for the bedding (like a lot of my research mentioned), but he said that the recycled paper bedding was better (and softer). Its that carefresh bedding at most pet stores. I just want my little guy to be comphy and happy.

Hi there,

The cage has a wire mesh floor to allow poo to drop into the pan so you don't need to fill it up with shavings (be hard to get the tray out). What the biggest concern is the bar spacing on the floor of the cage - you don't want it to be too big as feet can get stuck and broken legs happen very quickly and are hard to recover from. Can you post a picture or provide measurements? Also, keep in mind a kit's feet are smaller than an adults...

Assuming the bar spacing is safe, you would want to put down chin chillers (granite tiles) or other areas for them to rest their feet in the cage. Fleece is a good thing to include.

I would use aspen or pine - its cheaper than the others you mentioned and I know some people have had issues with chins ingesting the materials and they expanded in their guts....granted it would be harder for the chin to get to it in that type of cage but I just wouldnt bother with it.

I think I will just go with a fleece bedding. That seems the easiest and cheapest all the way around. Ill just use the bedding for a litter pan if she goes in the same spot.

I used carefresh for a while, that stuff is realy expencive tho. And it can cause some bad health problems. Im useing aspen bedding at the moment which is fine, but the stuff can get every where. Fleece is a great option if your able to use it. Nothing for them to kick out of the cage, and you dont have to buy more every week or two. So its helpfull.

Be carefull with cages. Iv had three kits, and it can gave me a near haeartattack every time one of them excaped from their cage. (Since they could fit through the bars) Even at 10 weeks, when you though 'theirs no way' they still managed to squeeze through my 1 inch bars. So you need to watch out. And do you chin a courtisey if able, dont get a mesh wire floor for them. That will only hurt their feet and increase risk on injury.

As for traveling, its hard for me to say. Their are several ppl with chins that dont have to much a problem with it. Mine however are not big fans of it. Infact the first chinchilla i took in, was immidly after a 2-3h ride to my place. (far to long) And to say he was freaked was an understatment. He would go crazy the first few days if you even so much as walked near his cage. Of course now that hes setteled in, hes the friendlyist chinchilla i have'
While im not sure, i would imain a younger chin would be more likly to become used to it.

I think it all depends on the chin itself. I have one here who can get easily stressed and I have one that is much more difficult to get stressed out unless she can smell a dog. The first time she came home to my parents when I was in college, I set her cage up and my dog came in the room to say hi to me. He could have cared less about what was in the cage and she was sounding the alarm the entire time he was in the room.

I would suggest getting a young chin to be used to it or a chin who has already been a bit of a traveler for ease of transition. Also make sure the chinchilla would be welcomed where ever you go. A chinchilla is a commitment so be prepared to always have a place for it to live.

I took Gary to work with me one day last week. He loved the attention. I felt a little bad too because he had to stay in his carrier all day (it was a last minute need to take him to work) but he was fine. Definietely better than I expected.

I will definitely just put fleece down on top of the mesh work. I just wont use that try. And I love the idea of only having to purchase several yards of fleece once and not having to buy more (at least not for a while). The drive will be about 2.5 hours unfortunately, but shes about 4 months old, so hopefully I can break her into the world of small travel early. I really appreciate all of your advice!

Latest posts

Back