Chinchillas and De-worming

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had one drop dead with no warning, heart attack proved out with a necropsy, the rest had pre-existing conditions. Without a necropsy the true cause of death is only speculation. Since most chins that die do not get necropsied, there may be a vast number of things we do not know about that can kill them, but without owners doing it they can only guess, and that does squat.

Seems like either way, the effects of dewormer in chinchillas aren't very well known. Some of you are saying it's fine, and there's these potential situations Kristy has brought up, but does anybody have any solid evidence? And more than a couple of cases? For example, has any breeder used dewormer on their whole herd without any deaths or ill effects? It would be interesting to hear about deworming practices.

Antiparasitics have been used for years and years on tons of chinchillas, its not something new. What is new IMO was the tape worm, that I never heard of

Antiparasitics have been used for years and years on tons of chinchillas, its not something new. What is new IMO was the tape worm, that I never heard of

Oh. Well then, I did not know that. So Kristy--do you think maybe this was just a fluke? Can a chin have a lethal reaction to a dewormer? Who knows what happened, I'm sorry it did though.

Oh. Well then, I did not know that. So Kristy--do you think maybe this was just a fluke? Can a chin have a lethal reaction to a dewormer? Who knows what happened, I'm sorry it did though.

More than likely these chinchillas had underlying problems that were not diagnosed or treated in pursuit of the "tapeworms". Without necropsies done on either chinchillas, it's not possible to say what did or did not kill them. We know the 16 week old chinchilla had a blockage and diarrhea, that can easily kill a kit on its own.

The only way I could think of a chin could die after worming is if there was a huge amount of worms, the max or larger dose of panacur was used that caused a huge die off and it could cause bloat or stasis.

her story changes a little bit with each email. the 1 year old chinchilla was a different owner just calling me for advice, the girl with the kit though her story changes a little bit with each email. First email she had him in quarentine up until he got sick, then in her phone conversation with me he and his cage mate hit it off great the first day. Then in the next email an older chinchilla she had was picking on the two young boys during group playtime.

All I do know is she is desperatly looking for someone to blame.

Latest posts

Back