Chinchillas... a.k.a. Dragon Cats?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airyn

This blog's author is on Google+ and appeared in my stream, so I figured I'd share. Since we're now in the year of the Dragon, the author (and the SPCA) are urging people not to buy chins on a whim. He even went a bit into how high maintenance they are. While I did notice a few fact discrepancies, it's not a bad overview...

http://lazy-lizard-tales.blogspot.com/2012/01/year-of-dragon-dragon-cats.html

That was an interesting read and I had not known about that funny chinchilla does not resemble dragon or cat its weird how they came up with that lol.....I think its good to promote pet awareness ty for sharing ...I also admit I have had chin- since November and yes they do require a lot more care then expected.....but its been definitely worth it for me Im glad I have chin but its good for people to know how much time goes into having a chinchilla!

Dragon Cats, I LOVE it! Especially since one of my chins is named Dragon, it suits his personality well because he can be a horror at times.

It sucks that there may be more impulse purchases because of the name though :( I enjoyed looking at the pictures of the other rodents in that article though, some of them looked so weird!

Interesting read... I have to wonder how chinchillas manage to survive over there at all, taking into account the weather, and (according to the people who come on this forum from Asian countries) they seem to have a general lack of access to appropriate supplies and/or knowledgeable exotic vets. Hopefully the deterrence campaign works!

Chinchillas in Chinese is called "long mao" if you translate that directly, it means dragon cats. Lol

I'm glad you all enjoyed it! Anyone else want a Southern Viscacha now? I thought he was adorable! :))

+1 to difficulty in finding exotic pet vets and supplies. Although in mainland China, chins are starting to become really really popular and more mainstream now. I went to pet shopping mall area last weekend and found that almost every shop that sells rabbits and hamsters has chins now too. They definitely breed for color variation though and not for quality, but I guess that's typical for pet shops. I haven't really seen any of the more professional breeders here in China yet.

But most of the shop owners at least are reasonably knowledgeable, and hoard the good Oxbow and Mazuri pellets for themselves, and get hay from decent sources that are mainly catering to horses. But of course they are always overboard on treats, sometimes giving chins cobs of corn in the cage to munch on, and dried carrot and other veggie slices.

And yeah, in China, chins are called 龙猫 which literally means Dragon Cat. They got the name from the Japanese cartoon which featured the Totoro character, based on a giant chinchilla. And anyways, as a marketing tool, Dragon Cat sounds cool and appeals to Chinese peoples sensibilities. If they called it some type of squirrel, rat or other rodent, people would think it's feral, and if they called it a type of rabbit, no one would pay the $100+USD price for them when rabbits sell for like $5 or $10.

Sad thing is, most of the people who buy them are parents getting their 5 year old kid a new pet. I don't know what happens to these chins eventually, but at least right now, almost any chin can be fairly easily resold so at least they aren't getting dumped in the wild or anything. It wasn't that much different in Chicago though from what I remember last time I was at a Petsmart...

Funny how I ran into this. My mom was watching news from Hong Kong on the satalite tv and had to tell me "Hey your fuzzy things are on the news" It was really funny to me because she asked me "Did you know your fuzzy things are called long mao". My reaction was "yes mom, ok, right, I could've told you that" and busted out laughing cuz she was so cute about it.

i'm still amazed at the difference between wild and domestic chins are, it's kind of mind blowing every time i see them

Latest posts

Back