Chinchilla Weights

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xBetterBeSocialx

What is the average weight for a chinchilla? I have been looking at some websites in the past few days and a lot of their chinnies are 550 grams or more. Templeton is lucky to hit 515 on a fat day! Is he just small? His vet (who is experienced with chins) says that he's very healthy and not underweight at all.

I think it depends on their age, mutation, and gender. I'm not exactly sure though, hopefully someone else with more experience will swing by and fill you in.

I've had chins ranging from 450 grams to 1000 grams. As long as your guy is healthy I wouldn't be concerned about his weight. When I was breeding chins, I liked to have them weigh at least 600 grams (weighing even more was better). I'd have to say that most of my breeding chins were 700 - 800 grams.

Chins come in all shapes and sizes just like people. If he is not boney, and you can't feel his ribs and spine, and the vet says he is healthy, he is! I have perfectly healthy 450 gram midgets here, and 1300gram beasts, all are healthy, fed the same, etc. When breeding you want bigger, but for pets it does not matter- just love them!

Most of my breeding herd are between 800 to 1000 grams, the exception being my sapphires. But it is like with people there are a lot of "healthy" weights for pets, but some weights are more acceptable for breeding.

This sounds familiar...I think there was another thread I read that was all about weights and sizes of chins. Somebody else can probably get the link to that thread easier than me...

Back