Chinchilla weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winknfox

"Loving my chinchillas"
First question... I have a standard male who is about 6 mo. old. He wighs 395g. Does this seem a bit small? The reason I ask is because I have a standard female born October 2010 and she has almost caught up to him at 360g. Is there a set amount that they should gain and up until what age? I feed them Purina Rabbit Chow Show as well as timothy hay and the occassional cheerio or raisin.

Second question, do the weights of my other chins seem healthy?...

Jax(mosiac male)-6 mo old-490g
Chili(black velvet male)-2 yrs-685g
Nyx(pink white female)-2 yrs-545g
Chincha(medium ebony male)-2yrs-715g
Pikachu(standard male)-6 mo-395g
Marishka(standard female)-2 1/2mo-360g

Chins come in various weights. Some are smaller than others, some are larger. As long as you can't feel ribs and they are eating and pooping normally, then I wouldn't be concerned about the weights. Nyx looks to be a smaller chin, but as long as she's healthy, I wouldn't be worried.

After finding out the negatives of those occassional raisins, I have stopped those and am looking into fresh rose hips....I have wondered though...is this going to make them lose weight? They have been just fine without the raisins..its been about a week or so. Not long, but they don't seem to care one bit about the loss of raisins. They were getting 1 a week...there shouldn't be much a weight change right?

Back