Chinchilla Weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie'sMum

Nutz over Chins
So I took Millie to the Vet today because of her eye ( which we have medicated drops for minor scratched cornea) and they weighed her. After the Vet tech left I heard them talking in the back once they shut the door and was worried Millie is underweight. I have no idea how much she is supposed to weigh, but she eats like a COW, a cute cow, and has probably too many treats, but none the less. On my receipt where the description of Millie is they have her weighing in at 1.31 pounds. I can't remember if this is right or not, but is she too thin or fat?

What is the right weight for a Chin??? Couldn't find a thread really on the guidelines, so figured I would ask.

that is 531 grams That is ok for a chinchilla. The big indicator is can you feel her bones, I mean a good healthy chinchilla should not be boney

No def some thick fur and a layer of fat.....but then again, she is my first Chin so not really sure how their bone structure/makeup is supposed to feel like :) I am trying though! I am pretty dang good with dogs with my dog experience, but this is a whole other world!

Every chinchilla is different. If your chin eats a good quality pellet and hay and has normal poos, I wouldn't worry about it. There is really no "normal" weight. Their potential, ideal weight depends upon genetics and diet. I have a couple of chins who eat well and are healthy at 450 grams , but are just naturally small, then I have chunkers who are 900grams.

Just a word of caution about treats- I would feed them sparingly, there can be too much of a good thing with chins...;)

I laughed at the word chunkers, I agree with above though. Neve eats like a small horse and she weighs about 600 grams...tiny thing.

Just a word of caution about treats- I would feed them sparingly, there can be too much of a good thing with chins...;)

Yea I try really REALLY hard, but she just looks at me like I only breathe to serve her ;) I used to give her raisins, until I joined this forum, and Charlie Chinchilla, bc I didn't know any better. Now she eats Oxbow pellets, Timothy hay, distilled water freely and her treats are raw oats, rose hips (its like her eyes are gonna pop out she LOVES them) and cheerios. I also just got a package today that I ordered Chin-approved treats/toys like pumice, wood twigs, chubba, etc.

Thank you all for the input. I just got nervous when they started talking about her, but maybe they were more enthralled over her color. I think they have only seen the Standard Greys and Millie is a Black Velvet.:wink2:

Back