Chinchilla trying to escape??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcuteikinz

Everyday, I will sit down in front of my chinchilla's cage and open the cage door and place it on my lap, allowing her to walk around and interact with me. Recently, though, she has been crawling over my arms, trying to jump over them, and also tryinh to run off of my lap. i think she's trying to escape, probably? And today she tried to get passed my arm and I kept raising my arm to prevent her from getting away, and she did a digging type motion into my arm and left a bunch of scratch marks. I'm sure she wasn't trying to hurt me on purpose. We let her out a couple times a week for at least 40 minutes. Do you think she needs more time outside of her cage??

Chinchillas don't sit still on your lap, especially if they are younger. They are so curious and high energy so it isn't you or lack of out time. It's just a curious chinchilla that wants to search out what will get her in the most trouble. The digging is her way of telling you she wanted to run not snuggle. She didn't mean to hurt you. Mine have never intentionally hurt me. My boys are finally staring to settle and the youngest is around five.

Back